looking for video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_jolly_ranche

Im looking for video card

I am looking to ugrade my video card in my Compaq Presario SR1750NX Desktop PC. I am pretty sure that i am running a 512 MB, probably 256 actually. I would like to have 512 MB, and hopefully dual head connection, so that i can run 2 monitors, how cool!!! Also i do play some games, like AOE3, and some old school like CounterStrike, so some speed is preferable.

So i am imploring this very intellegent community to help me find a relatively cheap card(250ish-less), with those criteria (aka, 512 MB, hopefully dual head, pretty fast); and please check that it will run with my computer

thankyou

Hello, and welcome to Techspot :wave: ! If you want a cheaper one than what MetalX "prescribed", may I suggest a GeForce 7600GT? You could, for ~$250 get a GeForce 7900GT too, which would outpower the 7900GS or 7900GS KO. Also, what country do you live in, so we are sure of the currency and proper websites (Techspot is international).

*Please Note*
If you just tell us you want a nice video card, we kind of default to the PCI-Exress X16 slot :suspiciou , so if you prefer an AGP card, I would suggest a 7600-Series, and for a PCI 2.0 slot, an ATI Radeon X1300. Check out the link in my signature below, take a look at my guide. Good Luck :wave: !

Thankyou all for your suggestions
any more are welcome

... im starting to thing about the one that condor suggested, maybe a little pricey though

o and to respond to a post further up I live in USA, so US dollars and companies that ship to the US plz

hello again, sry i keep reposting, but i went to BestBuy and i found this:
VisionTek RADEON X1300 XGE 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card
Model: VTK 1300512XGEPCIE

It is about 175$, how does this look?

That card is quite terrible. It's only worth about $70 and thats just Bestbuy ripping people off again. Newegg.com ships ONLY to the US and its pretty much the best computer parts site there is. Any of the cards mentioned so far would be good and performance wise they go in this order from worst to best:

7600GT, 7900GS, 7900GT, X1900XT. Just take note that the 7900GS is ALOT more powerful than the 7600GT, the 7900GT is a little better than the 7900GS but not THAT much, and the X1900XT is a little better than the 7900GT.

So the list should be more like:

7600GT................................................7900GS........7900GT.........X1900XT..........................X1950XT

Also one other option would be the X1950XT which is quite a bit better than the X1900XT.

MetalX said:

Exactly, DON'T buy the X1300! It is a lower mid-end card that will only help a little over integrated graphics. It definately is not a good gaming card. Not to yell, but I don't want to see someone else ripped off by Bestbuy ;) .

thankyou both for pointing out the errors in my way, i won't get that card, i will probably get one of the ones Metalx suggested

how much should these cost
7900GS:?
79 00GT:?
X1900XT:?

ok, y'all have been really helpful, i think i am going to go with the 7900 GS(cause its PCI express not AGP), but i see all these different kinds of it, what do those mean, how are they different. if there's no real difference, is it really just about appreance, either way, post your favorite
thankyou agian

I have an eVGA 7900GS KO, and paired with 2X512MB Corsair DDR2 675, I can play most games on high/maxed @ 1280X1024 (max my monitor allows).

da_jolly_ranche said:
...but i see all these different kinds of it, what do those mean, how are they different...

Different companies make nVidia cards; nVidia doesn't make anything. Typically, there are slight fluctuations between the brands. The eVGA 7900GS KO is the 2ND fastest 7900GS. I'm not sure of the fastest, but most likely an Asus or BFG model.

Lol how do you know if it's the second fastest if you don't know whats faster than it?? :stickout:

Yes, but it performs less in most games, unless you add another for crossfire, in which it then destroys the 7900GS in SLI.

ok, how about this, i am thinking of the 7900GS for 189$ or the Saphire radeon1950 pro 512mb for 209$
which one guys, yall have been so helpful before
And i dont think that i am going get get more than 1, so SLI capabilities isnt important

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Says who? Look here and here, as well as at TechSpot's own review of both cards head-to-head.

I read a review in a magazine that compared them, and benchmarked them and the 7900GS beat the X1950Pro in every test but one. Of course, half the magazines about computers I read, don't know anything about computer :stickout: . Take computer shopper for instance, who was bragging about an eMachines being priced low, and being good quality.

I'd say the 7900GS. It costs less, performs just a little slower than the X1950PRO, and overclocks much better than said X1950PRO.

ok, well i guess i will go ahead and get the 7900GS, and i think i found a BFG model, so since that brand was suggested i am thinking of gettting it

I have the eVGA model, and it's good also; look at some benchmarks to see which brand performs faster. Good luck :wave: !

Your welcome :wave: ! With the applications of the future coming at us particularly fast, it's not a bad idea to get a 512MB version, given that you have decent computer specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back