Looking to buy Laptop... what do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kids!

Help!

I not looking to do fancy things on it, just the basics. I want something that is durable and lightweight and with good virus protection.

My friends have recommend the Toshiba, Vaio ... hey have you seen the new Macbook air?!? It looks real nice ... anyone know if it's good and worth the price?

Thanks!

S

It's like asking what car should I buy - all depends on what you intend using it for, ie. what software, etc. will you be running & where, ie. more mobile usage or only occasional mobile usage.

If you give a bit more meat to your question then I'm sure you'll get some meaningful responses.

Virus protection has nothing to do with spec of PC. Don't buy on looks alone - many novices fall for the marketing tricks of so called 'looks' when the machines often are expensive & poorly spec'd!

If you are only going to be doing 'basics' on the laptop you should get change from 1000 bucks (£500 in UK) - budget laptops are selling at under £300 (600 bucks) in the UK

um, I wouldn't consider myself a kid. I am 38, but you need to determine your needs before shopping. whatever you get ensure it is maxed out on ram and has a fast hard drive. Also ensure you have wifi and plenty of usb and a PCMCIA/PCI express slot.

Come on ... we are all Kids ... no matter what age!

If the new Macbook Air is worth $1700, I'd splurge for the extra ... but is it really worth it? There doesn't seem to be a lot of people out there with Macs. Speaking of being suckered in by the looks of the thing ... this one is real good looking, you have to see it!

What kind of laptops do you have and how do you like yours?

overview_bigair_one20080115.png

See! Isn't it good looking?!?

Is it true that thinner ones don't have good air circulation hence cooling problems?

Flatery will get you everywhere!

I agree re Macs & compatibility issues. I accept Macs are good machines but you'll be restricted by what software you can run.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 1.8GHZ Dual Core (= 3.2GHZ total) with 2mb L2 Cache, 100gb HDD, 1.5GB RAM, 15.4WXGA LCD panel..... - purchased on-line in the UK from ITCSales for £340 (under 700 bucks).

You still haven't told us what you want to run on the laptop - this is the KEY unanswered question - shelling out 1700 bucks for wordprocessing, spreadsheets, surfing the net, etc. is simply throwing your money away! If you're intending to render/convert videos, play high end 3D graphic games or run CAD software then it could be justified.

ahhhh...i see...i'm not particularly compute savvy, so my main use really is just to surf the net, maybe burn some cd's, and the odd letter but that's about it....no games, no movies...

what's the life to one of these things anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back