Looking to upgrade my hard drive need some help on choosing whats right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to upgrade my stock dell computer. This computer is mainly used for gaming and I have noticed that I have filled my 60gb hard drive quickly so Im noticing some lag with the full hard drive. I guess my main question is that Im not familiar with the different hard drives out there so not sure waht to get and what is compatible with my computer. ill try to give you some info of the computer but please let me know what info you need to help. im looking to get like a 200 or 300gb hard drive so I wont run into this problem again and I would like the best and the fastest will spend alittle to enjoy my comp more. Thanks to all that take a look and help me out i am new to this forum and this is my first post.

Here is my comps stats:
-p4 processer
-1gb memory
-60gb stock hard drive ide

the fast mainstream Hard drives are the Western Digital Raptors, they are 10,000 RPM and usually come in 74 GB sizes for about $120 at www.newegg.com
next come the SATA drives that are quite cheap also..200 GB seagate barracudas could be $100 when onsale also at newegg or www.tigerdirect.com
you currently have an IDE which is about $40 cheaper than the SATA equivalent sizes. 250 GB Maxtor is $60 at tigerdirect. they go at 7200 RPM and some go at 5400 RPM, stay away from 5400... too slow.

It would help to know if your mobo has sata connections. if not then you are limited to IDe drives. if yuor hard drive is sata capable then I would take a look at the Western Digital 400 gb hard drive with 16mb cache. it is large and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back