Lose internet after several hours on XBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prometheus25

I have DSL and a D-link 604 ver. E router. After spending several hours on Xbox live, I lose all internet connection and have to restart my router and DSL modem. This has been continuing for several months now. IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING! I have tried downloading the latest firmware available for this model and the poblem persists. If anyone has any advice that could help, post here or e-mail me at ***************. THank you.

Edit: do not post your e-mail address on a public webpage -- Nodsu

is the modem losing the connection altogether, or is your xbox the only device on the network that loses internet? if your modem is indeed crapping out, you should call your ISP.

it's not just the Xbox, I lose internet on my computer as well. It may be the router. To reconnect, I unplug my router's power and plug it back in. This is pretty much the jist of it.

You did secure the router with a new password and disabled remote control,
didn't you?

I have adjusted the settings as suggested. After more confusion and infuriation, I hope this will solve my problems. Thanks a lot for your help!

(sigh)....6 hours....a new record....gaahhhh! As you can see, I lost my internet...AGAIN! Although your idea helped, it didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?

I also have problem with router that means randomly my computer loses all internet connectivity, sorted only by unplugging and plugging in router. I usually get way more than 6 hours before it happens though - can be upto a day.

First, STOP using the Xbox until you can control the Internet connection ...
who knows what a game machine is trying to do!!!

Second, the ISP *may* have set the least period to some goofy time like
8 hrs or one day. You don't use it all day, but the connection is there ONLY
for one day. When it expires, the remote connection does a reset and your
end does a renew -- apparently failing. Just an idea :eek:

obviously you're illiterate, since I said I did that in my first post. Secondly, Jobeard, you're saying I should try expanding the time frame in which I can use the internet. And by the way, all an Xbox does is download and upload information from servers, like a computer, just less susceptible to viruses!

Prometheus25 said:
And by the way, all an Xbox does is download and upload information from servers, like a computer, just less susceptible to viruses!
The reason is: who knows if the tcp protocol is or is not being reset by a box
that isn't intended to say online 24/7 like a computer is? It's yours to use as you please :)

Although it isn't designed to stay on for extended periods of time, it happens all the time. I also doubt that my Xbox would shut down the internet to my entire LAN.

ok, i'll be blunt. It only takes ONE misuse of the protocol to reset the router
and thus loose ALL connections.

When problem solving, one very useful technique is Split-Halves; divide the
resources into 2 parts and use only one. if the problem persistes, it's NOT in
the other half. if it's gone then it IS in the other half. continue until there's only
2 objects left and you have the culpret cornered.

You may be absolutely correct - -then too, it can still be the culpret.

just a suggestion :)

would it help to mention that we had Highspeed cable internet a few months previous and had absolutely no trouble then? same set up and everything

so what changed? Use of the Xbox? Could also be just a TCP Release/Renew
cycle, which leads to the previous Update the Firmware comment.

Because of the amount of time you seem to have put into this, would it be fair to presume you have reserved a static IP address on the router settings for the xbox to use? Also that you have applied that reserved IP address to the xbox? I don't know what games you are playing, but some don't work very well unless you also do some port forwarding.

btw: I have a guest in the house with an xbox and here's the setup
Code:
ISP -- modem -- netgear router ---- his Linksys router --- his xbox
                         |                 |
                     my switch              + -- his Xp/Pro SP2 game rig
                         |
                         + -- my Linux, Xp/Pro, and wife's Max
He comes home ~9:30pm and plays 'til 2-3am. Weekends it's an all day marathon.
I NEVER reboot the Netgear (ah heck -- maybe once/twice a year?) and unless
the ISP (gateway or DNS) goes down, he never reports any problems to me.

The following ports get forwarded to hist Linsys:
AOL-IM(5190-5193), Ventrillo(3784)​
I've prepared to fwd Steam but it's unnecessary.

jobeard, do you have two routers involved for a particular purpose, or is the switch within the Linksys router all you really needed?

totally UNNECESSARY, but convenient for my friend -- it just worked out as the
equipment was available and it isolated his systems from mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back