Losing connecting on wireless Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate it.

I have 2 computers with a wireless linksys router, one computer is hooked via ethernet and the other is via wireless. I added WEP encyption last night and the laptop keeps losing connectivity now.

Any suggestions?

I set up the SSID manually so I wasn't broadcasting it and I setup the laptop manually. Should I have broadcasted it first to get it logged on then shut it off?

Thanks, Josh.

How far away is the laptop from the router when it loses connectivity? You may just be getting signal loss.

Also try WPA encryption if your hardware supports it.

Maybe you should Use a VPN instead.. What WPA encryption were you thinking of using?.. many now are being cracked in matter of hours thanks to the AirSnort for Linux(now in Windows ) ... google "securing Wireless Router"
gives you alot of info..

Try using VPN's instead.. your computer could be to far away.. google for a "Broader range antena" get about a mile extra range.. or from low conection to High:):) <> ________I ******* []
^ ^ ^ ^
router antena RANGE computer:):)

I'm not sure a VPN will help, seeing as though you need some kind of internet connection to kick one off. And it's a little silly to VPN to a home network in your own home! :)

Broadcast your SSID, flush your current wireless settings and try connecting while it's broadcasting. Then as you say, disable it later on.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I started with upgrading the firmware on my linksys, I was several revs old, actually I had never upgraded it. lol

Upgrading it, I then tried using the WPA feature now that it could do it but the laptop only gave me the option for WEP. I tried to download new drivers for the wirelss card, its a Realtek 8180L but I could not for the life of me figure out how to update the new drivers once I dowloaded it.

So, I broadcast my SSID and allowed the laptop to get the information. Turned off the SSID on the router, changed to WEP encryption and then changed the laptop to WEP with the proper keys. So far its been working, I will know more today.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!!

Does that WiFi router have SpeedBoost by any chance ? If yes, try to disable that function in the advanced wireless setting as it has been known to make certain Linksys routers overheat & drop the WiFi connection.

i went for a better linksys wireless adaptor and broadcast ssid. sometimes when not broadcasting i lose connection. it may be my imagination.also try changing channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back