Losing window content

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm progressively having a problem that no one knows how to solve. From time to time, if I drag a video file directly to a media player (such as real player or Windows media player) or if I have trouble opening a video file, I end up losing all the contents in my windows. For example, if I go to My Computer or My Program Files, the box will be empty, except for a faint little box in the upper left-hand corner. This also tends to affect the desktop--eg., the Trash icon will have disappeared. To restore back to normal, I have to restart my computer. I've run virus and spyware scans in Safe mode and have come up clean. Does anyone know what this is all about?

Some movies are quite large,Do you have enough room on your drive to move the file and do you have enough memory including Page file settings?
Also check for 2 or more programs that are associated with your media files. there may be a conflict between these programs trying to handle the same file at the same time.

Thanks for your response. My video files rarely get bigger than 700MB. I remember tinkering with the Page file settings several months ago when I encountered another problem. I can't remember how to alter those settings. What is a normal setting? I'm running W2K, SP4.

A widely used norm is a pagefile 1.5 x the size of your memory.
Change settings in Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Performance Options/Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back