Loss of connection with wireless router..help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i run a tosh satellite p200 using a netgear dg834gt v3 modem router and find nearly every day it will not let me connect with a various sites on ie7. When i refresh it still is no good and i have even tried using the ethernet cable from the router with the same results.......?.

It allows e-mail and i run no other pc's on the network, i use a firewall and had no problem with as dell i used to have and only started the fun and games in the last few weeks after having this pcfor 6 months.

AR5006EG is the networkcard

this is the message i get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

help

When it drops out, can you ping an external server - like Google.com ?

Start/Run type CMD, and in the dialogue box type - with the space -
ping google.com

If you can ping ok, go to Network Connections in the Control Panel, right click on the adapter you are using, Properties, TCP-IP Properties, Advanced, Options, TCP-IP Filtering Properties, and make sure " Permit All " is checked {don't bother with the "Enable TCP IP Filtering".

That should do the trick {I don't know how it changes, but I see it a bit at work, generally on machines running Norton}

Let me know how U go.

go on run

type cmd then ipconfig

you should have a ip address for the default gateway then if you dont then type go back on cmd then type ipconfig/renew

if that does not work the router needs to be reset so the computer the computer can pick up the ip address.

get the latest firmware update from netgear for this router/modem
See if that helps you? -- Welcome to TechSpot

*edit: please learn to be more concise with the quote feature*

when the connection has droppedi try and ping that address with no reply,

if i try 2 or 3 times it will let me ping it then connects to that site with refresh,

Rufus
I experienced this one time when I had Norton Firewall and windows firewall both turned ON. You may try turning windows firewall off for a short time and check the connectins to the websites. Your router also may have its own firewall.
Good luck, tell us what happens

ruffus said:
when the connection has droppedi try and ping that address with no reply,

if i try 2 or 3 times it will let me ping it then connects to that site with refresh,

Is this XP or Vista you're working with?

ok thanks for all the help........ re installed the router and all seems to be ok the only problem being now there are 3 networks viewable but 2 cannot be connected to and i cant for the life of me get rid of them i have tried every thing even logging in admin for the router.....help again please

they where all my networks 1 the old one 2 reset button network 3 new one but rebooted the pc and gone however the connection is greatly improved but still lose connection a bit so i am wondering if there is a fault in the router i suppose it means a lengthy and unfruitfull call to netgear helpline doh............as the router is still in warranty..........we live in hope!!!!!!!!!

ruffus said:
they where all my networks 1 the old one 2 reset button network 3 new one but rebooted the pc and gone however the connection is greatly improved but still lose connection a bit so i am wondering if there is a fault in the router i suppose it means a lengthy and unfruitfull call to netgear helpline doh............as the router is still in warranty..........we live in hope!!!!!!!!!

How old is the router? They do go bad after a while... Might be time to get another?

Thanks for all the replies.....here is the story so far

i get an error and not conncted to internet page come up still same

i have brought a new router (netgear dg834g v3) and still same

i have tried it with ie7 protected mode off....still same

it comes and goes on different sites so no one site specific

still does it with ethernet cable in

i have tried it with windows firewall off and no joy then i turn it back on and refresh and get the page up so it seems to be able to connect as soon as you change a setting and then back again.

i have found though that if i turn off the satellite switch on pc (tosh p200)then on again it will connect straight away if i refresh the page once...????????........could it be the wireless card if still fault when ethernet cable is in.

i have windows firewall and vista

help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back