Lost Access to msn messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

help12345

Please can you help me. I accidentally deleted wininet.dll and since then i cannot access msn messenger for chat. I managed to put back the file, since that message no longer comes up when i try to access msn mess. What happens now is ... nothing! I can access the internet ok. I can also access web msn messenger and see my contacts but i cannot send them a message and when they send me a message i cannot recieve it.

I am using XP.

I followed another thread because AVG throws up "you have a virus eraseme.exe." When that happen i "heal" it. Is that correct?

I did download ewido and i have a report.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
TYIA

Getting rid of that virus is your #1 task. Only after you have done that, start replacing any damaged files.

How about reinstalling MSN messenger?

msn

yes, thats already been done.

not sure how i can get rid of that virus though?? i just "heal" it in AVG.

what should i do exactly?

TYIA

following the instructions

Thanks so much for your help. Ive found that I have the following viruses which AVG say are unhealable

BackDoor.Generic3.DFR
BackDoor.SdBot
DownloaderAgent.ETP

Im busy working through that sheet of instructions above and after running SpybotSD my laptop has really speeded up. Thank goodness!

However, Im stuck as to how to deal with the results from SpybotSD. I have attached them.

Please can you advise.
TYIA

Hello and welcome t5o Techspot.

Try the following.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run a full system scan with AVG and delete whatever it finds. Do the same with Spybot.

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Then, go and read this thread HERE. post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Registry

Thanks so much Howard I will try that!

One question - what I found in SpybotSD, the changes to the registry, I can just delete them??? I thought they needed editing or something so i didnt dare touch them. :)

Please can you confirm and then ill follow your instruction.
TYIA!

You should have SS&D fix everything it finds. Then go to SS&D`s recovery and select everything in there and purge them.

Regards Howard :)

Safe Mode

I want to turn off system restore in safe mode. I know how to do it BUT I cant save this setting change. Is there an F key I can press, ive tried them all.

TYIA

hjt.log

Hi, followed the instructions as best I could please could you let me know what I should do next.

TYIA I appreciate your help!

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{814665EA-8F44-46FF-B50F-AD90F7C02186}: NameServer = 202.234.232.6 221.113.139.250<only fix this, if it doesn`t belong to your isp.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

You are running a completely unpatched version of Windows. This is a huge security risk.

Run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

Msn Messenger

Hi! Thanks so much for your help to date its been great.

I have followed the instructions. I thought I had sp 1 but obviously not and im unable to download that.

I have installed msn messenger again but still the problem persists of the laptop not allowing me to connect to that. Any ideas?? Apart from getting a new laptop LOL. When I leave Japan I will!

Find attached my latest hjt.

TYIA appreciate your help very much!

The enigma continues!

Hi! I dont appear to have any nasties on my laptop now but still msn messenger fails to load.

I have Live Messenger 8.0. I used the connectivity check in this program and it tells me I have incorrect proxy or firewall settings.

I am using the ZoneAlarm firewall and simply cannot see how msn is being stopped from loading.

Does anybody have an ideas about how to solve this, my heads hurts!

Now your system is clean, we can rule out a virus etc as the cause of your msn problem.

Therefore, you should open a new thread for this problem in our Windows OS forum.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

This thread is for the use of help12345 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi! I have a problem with MSN Messenger, in that it tells me that my firewall is preventing me from accessing this service yet the firewall is not stopping it!

Initially I had viruses on the following files;
msnserv0.exe
msmsgrs.exe
wininet.dll

With the help from this site these were removed. But still i have no access to MSN.

I have done the following;
Reinstalled MSN, several times vers.4,7 and 8.
Shutwdown all protection to try to establish cause
Checked Windows firewall, it isnt active.

Everytime I run the connection troubleshooter in MSN Mess. version 8.0 its says that my firewall is preventing access.

When I run my anti virus it tells me my system is clean, spybot the same. However, the problem doesnt rest with the firewall so Im wondering does anybody know anything about an MSN Virus????

Any suggestions welcome.
This is posted on the other thread aswell but thought id post it here since it could be a virus.

TYIA

As per above

TYIA appreciate any help!

Your HJT log is clean.

You`re running a completely unpatched version of Windows. This is a huge security risk. Run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

You`re also running two antivirus programmes, Avast and AVG. this is not a good idea and can cause conflicts etc. Uninstall one of the antivirus programmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back