Lost admin rights after virus infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaac

H guys,

My computer was infected with virus/malware/spyware/everything.
One of the many symtoms was that my account did not have admin rights anymore.
After Cleaning the pc the computer runs much better. i have follow the instruccions on spyware/malware removal on a previous thread. But i still don't have administrator rights on this accont. I can't change my deskpot, i can't get to system properties (right click my computer,properties) i can't get to control panel, i can't do any updates.

The computer is listed as an administrator account, and i don't know how to go about with this.

i tried creating another admin account and then copying the old one to the new one but it does not allow me to copy the profile. It would allow me to copy any other profile listed but not the one i want to change.

Again this started happening after my computer was infected.

Everytime i tried to do any of the tasks mentioned above i get a lack of priveileges message telling me to contact the system administrator. and this is anoying.

Can anyone help Please.
Your help will be Greatly appreciated.

anyother options.

I don't have the original winxp cd that came with the machine. however i have a windows xp cd but this one has another key. So i don't know if this will cause any problems.

Is there any oher solutions to this problem? does anyone know?

this computer belongs to a friend of mine and i'm fixing it for her, and i don;t want to encounter ay problems that may cause loss of data or that will cause me to reisntall the whole thing over again.

Note:

Also if i logon as local administartor when i go to computer management the locol users and computers folder or directory is not there.

can anyone help please.

As you already know viruses and malware can be very distructive. In this case, I would wipe the drive and start over. Try your XP disk. Follow the repair procedure as presented. If the repair fails, you should still remain where you are now. If it completes, you may be good. What do you have to loose at this point? Can you back up important data?

Home v professional

this machine is a windows home version and the CD i have is a Windows Professional.
Since it's only reapiring the OS do you think this would be a problem?

I just don't want to mess this up.

Again, can you back up your friends important data? Can you live with the way it is now? If so, leave it alone. If you want to get the OS "back to normal", try the XP repair... I told you that I would wipe the system and start fresh.

You keep saying:
"I just don't want to mess this up"...

Isn't it messed up now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back