Lost all my music in the "my music" folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried opening my music folder on XP and all my 3000 songs are gone...I still have my videos and movies but all the music stored in "my music" is gone....

I did a system such and they were no where to be found.

I also tried restoring but to no avail.

I was just getting ready to purchase an external hard drive and a zune....I was going to store my movies and music on the Ex hard drive.....BUT NOW ITS ALL GONE.....

Gone anyone help my here....

Some helpful steps to get my music back....Or is it all gone for good.?

What happened prior to it vanishing? Did you perform any actions?

It wouldn't just erase itself. Try checking the recycle bin.

I looked in the BIN ....but there's nothing there.....

The only action I could think off .....well I deleted a user account on XP....and created a new one....but it shouldn't have affected anything....

Its as if the "my music" folder was completely deleted .....there is absolutely nothing in that folder...

I think each User Account his its own set of My Music/My Pictures type folders.

I never put stuff in those folders, so can't help you more. Wait around a bit and someone else will. Good Luck!

I hate to tell you this but each user in Windows XP gets it's own hard drive space for files, folders and settings. So if you deleted a user account the information inside of those files and folders usually gets deleted as well unless you tell Windows XP to not delete the user files that are associated with that user.

If you created a new user account the My Music Folder is different with every user in Windows XP.

I would suggest to go to the "C:\Documents and Settings\" folder and find the user account that had you deleted, if it is still their. Inside of that user account folder is a folder called "My Documents" and inside of that is "My Music" have a look in their to see if the files are still their. This is where they would be. If they are not their then that is because you deleted a user account and told XP to delete all the files that are part of that user account. This is what happens when you use a multuser operating system like Windows XP.

Remember, that when you delete a user account the operating system will delete the user files to go with it. Before you do such an action I would recommend to make a copy of the user's documents and place that copy somewhere outside of "C:\Documents And Settings" folder.

Well the account I deleted had nothing to do with my account. I mean it didnt even have any music for that user....

All my movies and music video were not affected......It solely the music folder that zapped

Could the old user account that you deleted have access to your music folder if so then it may have been deleted. Have you gone to the "C:\documents and settings" folder and checked the user account that you deleted to see if that folder is still their?

ChocoLuv said:
Well the account I deleted had nothing to do with my account. I mean it didnt even have any music for that user....

All my movies and music video were not affected......It solely the music folder that zapped
Try a file recovery utility, if nothing has overwrite your files, you should be able to recover them. There are a lot of tools available, you can try the freeware PC Inspector File Recovery, it has an undelete feature. If it doesn't work, run PhotoRec and use it to recover files from unallocated/free space, it's not perfect as original filenames won't be recovered but it's better than nothing.
Whatever utilities you are using, be carefull to not write anything on the partition that was containing your files until the recovery is completed.

Christophe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back