Lost Capability To Print From Windows Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
To begin with, here’s my hardware and software profile:
1. Computer – Sony Viao with Celeron Processor
2. Operating System: Windows 98
3. Programs: Microsoft “ Works” and Office 97 plus programs already installed when I bought the computer.
4. Printer – HP LaserJet 6L connected to Local printer port: LPT1

My HP LaserJet 6L printer has worked quite well until about two weeks ago when I installed a Keycad drafting program. Keycad was designed for Windows 95 (or a later version of Windows). After installing the Keycad program, I could not print anything from my Windows 98 programs. I “uninstalled” the Keycad program and I still cannot print anything from Windows 98. Therefore, after installing (and uninstalling) the Keycad program, something went wrong with Windows 98 printer software.

I have successfully installed my printer’s driver several times and I have set it as the “Local” default printer, then gone through a complete reboot (shut down and restart routine).

I have tested the printer by typing in the printer port name “LPT” after the “Windows Prompt” and it correctly prints out a list of all the files on my “C” Drive. Therefore, my printer hook up is OK. I also ran the file defragmenter and Scan Disk with no problems.

All of my Microsoft programs (Works or Office 97) work OK. However, I just cannot print from any of these programs.
I get an error message that says something to the effect that there has been a problem printing to LPT1. Also, sometimes the program freezes and I have to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart. Other times, nothing happens after I enter a print command.

I can print the file names on my hard drive using the Windows Prompt so there’s nothing wrong with the printer hook up.

Also, someone has suggesting "clearing the printer spooler" (c:\windows\spool ??) and rebooting.

If this is the problem, just how do I actually go about clearing the spooler?

Thanks in advance.

Sony Computer - Windows 98 Repair Procedures

Tmagic650 said:
Try doing a Windows 98 repair. Are you using Windows 98SE?

I have a "repair disk" (a CD that came with my Viao computer)? I guess this is the repair what you are referring to.

I believe my computer is running plain Windows 98 -at least that's what it says on the "splash screen" just before my desktop is displayed.

Thanks -

TechGeek

I'm not used to using the restore disks manufacturers supply with their products. If you have a "restore repair" option used it. If it says that you will loose all your data, this is a complete restore, and by running it, you can loose all your programs. Just be aware of this

Is it 98se

W98 wasn't very good,but your 95 software should print ok.
I have no idea what a 98 repair is.Thats an XP option if you have no XP complete cd.
Besides it prints everything else.
But my HP has Toolbox.See if you do and what it reports.
Does this software have a Print preview and Page settup ?

So Zipperman,
you don't know what a Windows 98 repair option is, but you know enough to say Windows 98 wasn't very good... Interesting. You can repair Windows 98 by starting a Windows 98 install sequence over a current Win 98 install. After the "repair" Win98 install finishes, all the users desktop, files and programs remain intact. Essentially only damaged registry files are repaired.

TechGeek is most likely using Windows 98SE, even though settings says Windows 98. This "magic" Win98 repair only works with the 98SE version

When you reboot, this should clear the print spooler in any case, but to do it manually: Start - Run - Type: command (Hit Enter) - Type the following:

net stop spooler (Then hit Enter)
net start spooler (Then hit Enter)

The spooler is restarted everytime you reboot, so I don't think this will fix your problem. Try it though ... you never know.

Yes there is a way to fix it. Take it to any electronics repair shop. They can fix it for you...

john88,
you should have started a new thread for this in the Audio forum... Are you familiar with using a soldering iron and working with wireing? If you say no, do what I just suggested

damn im good! i fuxed them myself see they were in salated so i took a cigorate lighter and bunrd the insalating off them then i twisted them to geather and seperated them and they worked!! damn im a genious! but i stil lcant spell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back