Lost drive help for a "dummy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this topic has been handled a few times, but I'm not very computer savvy and other threads were of little help to me. Upon starting my computer the message "Primary master drive fails" is displayed. If I open up the computer and push the cables in, the computer will generally restart, and might even open a program (making horrible noises all the while), but after a couple minutes it will completely freeze, and upon restarting the drive fails message is displayed again. This has happened a couple times in the past 3 months, but was rectified by checking the cables. If anyone has patience enough to give me some detailed help, I would greatly appreciate it, as there are a lot of digital photos I desperately want to save. I can be directly contacted at spasticfanatic@hotmail.com, and I am on MSN Messenger for the course of the day (Monday). Thanks a ton!
~Elizabeth

I suggest you stop trying to use this disc as it seems to be on its last legs. Get a new hard disc and install your OS on it. When all is working either put the disc as is on the second IDE controller or change the jumper to slave and connect it on the same ribbon as the new disc. Hopefully you'll have the old disc working long enough to copy your photos over.

Yes that drive is toast. If you can still get it to boot on occation then you have a chance at getting your data back. Follow IronDuke's advice and you should be able to get some (maybe all if you are lucky) of your files back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back