Lost drivers for Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon Telephone Co installed their FOIS 3 system package two weeks ago in my house. All systems work well but I noticed my drivers for Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro are gone. The joystick software is Version 3.0. I've used this joystick for many years without trouble. My computer is running XP and MSFLT 2004 works but without a joystick, it's difficult to operate. My computer tells me to update the driver. I see a Version 3.02 at the Microsoft website but it doesn't download for some reason.

My first question is why won't the software version 3.0 reinstall? It has often in the past without trouble.

Second question, can USB ports become overloaded? I have 4 ports and I'm using 2 ( Netgear and a printer) without the joystick plugged in.

Specs for my computer: AMD 2600+ processor, XP Home OS, 1GB memory, Verizon Wireless internet using Netgear WG111T connected to a USB port

Appreciate any help, Zeroscape.

1. if you have the installation CD, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

2. Yes. USBs can be overloaded. Use a POWERED hub. 2 ports being used is not overloaded.

Thanks for your swift reply. Problem solved. For years, I have used the back 2 USB ports for my printer and joystick. After the wireless installation by Verizon, I switched the joystick to a front port but never plugged it in. The tech installed the Netgear wireless unit in a back port because it has a flashing light which drives my grandson ( 3 1/2 years old) nuts. That installation was about 1 month ago. Both front ports have always been used to download Kodak pictures from my digitial camera so I ASSumed they would work for anything I plugged in. My printer is now plugged into a front port and works correctly. I did not try the joystick in a front port after the problem was eliminated but I know the joystick worked in the front ports the past few years. Again, thanks to all for your inputs. Zeroscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back