Lost "My Network Places" and can't hookup to net via ethernet cable, only wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

Hi all
I'm wondering if I deleted something (that I shouldn't have) while doing a Hijack This scan.

I have a 5 year old Toshiba Sattelite with XP.
I can't seems to access my "Network Places" while in "My Computer". I hit the link and it just shows me a blank screen.

I also have a problem with my ethernet port. I have a Netgear Wireless router and it hooks into a cable modem. I am able to access the internet through the wireless router, but when I try to hookup the cable from the router directly into my laptop, I am not able to connect to the net.

Could I have deleted something that would cause these problems?
If so, anyone know what it could be?

I've done a few scans over the last year, and have saved logs on them all.

neil_ski said:
Hi all
I'm wondering if I deleted something (that I shouldn't have) while doing a Hijack This scan.

I have a 5 year old Toshiba Sattelite with XP.
I can't seems to access my "Network Places" while in "My Computer". I hit the link and it just shows me a blank screen.

I also have a problem with my ethernet port. I have a Netgear Wireless router and it hooks into a cable modem. I am able to access the internet through the wireless router, but when I try to hookup the cable from the router directly into my laptop, I am not able to connect to the net.

Could I have deleted something that would cause these problems?
If so, anyone know what it could be?

I've done a few scans over the last year, and have saved logs on them all.

Heres my advice, and it has worked for others when anything related to network goes co*keyed.

First uninstall all items in network properties, such as TCP/IP etc
Uninstall your network card by going into Device Manager.

Power down the PC.
Remove the NIC
Power on the PC, and let it come to a stable state, say 2 minutes.
Power down the PC, reinstall the NIC, power on the PC.

This will force Windows to reload all Network related items and can take a few minutes. Once done test and let us know.

each adaptor gets its own configuration.
use your Network Connections->Lan
and then right-click to Properties
select TCP/IP (ususally @ bottom)
and ensure you have DHCP for both the IP address and the DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back