Lost net connection after installing Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred G

Last night i ran into some major problems after installing Norton Internet Security 2006 on my pc and laptop, including the loss of internet connection on the pc. Obviously i'm online right now, but only thanks to hooking it up to the laptop. Now i realize what a mistake it was to install Norton, not only because of its other issues, and judging from the posts in this forum there are a lot of them, but also because (and i only found this out today) you SHOULD NOT register and install it on more than one of your pc. Even if the copy is legit. Thats why i ran into all these problems, so if you folks ever decide to install norton on your other computer dont, i've learned the hard way.

So, anyway, after I took my dads copy of norton and installed it on both pc and laptop, the internet connectionwas gone in about 15 min on the pc, on the laptop the program became corrupted after restart, the norton icon dissapeared from the desktop and i was unable to either run scans or get rid of it using add/remove programs. After spending a couple of hours online i finally found the norton removal tool and got rid of the dam thing.

However, I'm still unable to restore my net connection on the pc, i didnt have to deal with the corrupt norton and simply removed it using add/remove programs, but my the connection was not restored. I'm hoping to get some advice on how to get my connection back. I really dont want to format the hard drive and start from scrath. Any help would be appreciated\

Fred

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try running the winsockfix from HERE and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the reply, i will definately give this a shot, i just have to figure out how to get it over to my pc since cant download it over there

Fred

yea, you would think so, but its easier said than done when it comes to my laptop. when i put a blank cdr into the cd drive the machine reads it but when i try to open it nothing happens, it tells me insert disk in drive d:, but its already in there, i just dont get it. Only when i put a cdr with files on it i can open it, but when i try to copy something there it says cannot copy files on cd are read only. So this why i use email to move files between pc and laptop, compress them using winzip or winrar and them email, very easy. but right now i cant do that since i got no connection on the other end.

Thats exactly what i've done only i used my dad's pc to get it over threre. Unfortunately winsockx was not the answer to my connection problem, i'm sure its a good utility, but when it comes to cleaning out leftover Norton thrash its not that effective. I'm now afraid that even if i format my c drive it wont solve the connection issue, who knows how deep those norton files are in my system.
I do appreciate your help though, if you have any other suggestions do let me know

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back