Lost network connectivity, Mouse/KB problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver Slayer

I have 2 problems that I was previously ably to fix (or appairently send into remision) that have re-arisin.
Firstly, at random times when I try to reboot, I get something along the lines of "f1 to retry reboot, f2 to enter setup" pressing f1 does nothing, and I can't find anything helpfull in setup.

Secondly, my internet drops out ALL the time, at least twice a day (3 this morning) I have talked to my IPS, noone else has this problem, so I assume that it is my Dad's patch-work network.

And of course their is still the whole disapearing memory bit, thank you yet again for you help.

That first bit sounds like a rickety connection between keyboard/PC or mouse/PC, or it could also be a CMOS-battery that is nearly dead (the round silver thingy somewhere on your mobo). These are cheap to replace; if the PC is 3 years or older, replace it (carefully, don't break bits off, disconnect powercord before you do it).

How do you connect to the web: PC-router-modem-web? or PC-other PC-modem-web?

Click on Start/Run and type in cmd and click OK.
Now type in ipconfig /all >ipconfig.txt and hit enter.
The result is in the file ipconfig.txt, attach that to your next post.

As for the memory: take the sticks out, clean the contacts with an eraser, clean off the remnants and put it back in. Make sure to 'earth' yourself so you don't 'blow' the RAM with static. Disconnect the PC from the mains before you do this.

Wen the mouse and keyboard arn't pluged in it just boots normally, so it's probly not that. The battery is more likly, As I've said before, this computer is like 5 years old, but if it where doing that, wouldn't it forget the time?

Our network consists of a DSL router, a hub ,and a wireless switch, I don't know if the router skips the hub and the switch and goes straight to the computers or not, I will have to ask my Dad.

I will try out the memory cleaning thing the next time I take it down.

As for the IP thingy, typing cmd in the run line did nothing, I assumed that was the command prompt, I tryed to run it from their and it said it couldn't be run in dos mode. So I let the prompt see windows and I got this.

Attachments

• ipconfig.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 9
Your network setup looks a bit iffy. A mixture of DHCP and fixed IPs.
Have a look at the attachment here:
Basics-networking
The above is a setup for fixed IPs.

With DHCP enabled in the router, an IPCONFIG would look like:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your computer name
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Networking Velocity Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 \
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 .> router's IP address, all the same
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 /
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 August 2005 07:50:41
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Woo their, you lost me, whats DHCP?, is that the thing that automaticly sets the subnetmask and ip?

And from what I can see ALLOT of stuff in your example file is different from my file, what HAS to be changed?

Don't you think it is time you start reading the manual that came with your network equipment?
I've given you all the options!

I may of may not have fixed the problem, I wil have to wait and see. The network card on the ME has a seting that allows the computer to turn off the card to conserve power, and it was on, it's off now, I think that might have been it.

It didn't fix it.

Something new I just found out, the DSL modem lights still act like I am connected to the internet when it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back