Lost sound on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jourdyn

I tried installing some driver onto my computer and I lost my sound. That was when I had 2000 but I reformatted and installed Windows XP Pro. I have an ASUS CRW 4824A and I think the sound card is integrated or I think I have DirectSound, I think just I need to install some driver to fix this, can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it.

You either have a sound card, or onboard sound. Which is it? If you have a sound card, your audio jacks will be down lower on the back of your case, going horizontal across. If you have onboard sound, the jacks will be up higher near the usb ports, keyboard/mouse etc...

If you have onboard sound, then you have to go to your motherboard manufacturers website to download the correct driver.
If you have a sound card, you need to figure out what model it is and who makes it. And then get the driver from THEIR web site.

Also when I click on Add Hardware it went to
Installed Hardware
? Multimedia Audio Controller
? Sm Bus Controller

I believe this is where my main problem lies.

You are correct, that is the problem! You have onboard sound and no driver for it!

2 things:

1) Do you have your original motherboard CD? It should have an installer for your soundcard.

2) If not, find out the model of your motherboard. The CRW 4824A is not the motherboard, but your CD-ROM drive!
One of the easiest wasy to find out would be to just open the case and look for the model number. It should be clearly printed smack in the middle area of the board, or else somewhere by the video card and PCI slots. Tell us that number, and we'll find you the driver. If you can't find the model, we'll offer an alternative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back