Lots of feedback in my speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've limited the variables of this problem down to a few.

Last night I left my pc on because I was downloading a large file.

This morning my room mates again forgot to pay the power bill, our power was shut off.

I turn my computer back on, and now when I play songs and video files, anything with sound, I hear this fuzzyness, feedback, popping like sound in the background of the speakers, sometimes, depending on the song, it gets so extreme I don't even want to listen to the song.

I have Altec Lansing Series 100 speakers.

I tried another set of speakers, and another ac120 volt adapter, I'm guessing it could be my soundcard? Or something...I'm not even sure what type of soundcard I have.

Please, any advice/suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

One thing to check would be your Windows sound-device settings. If your PC was forcefully shutdown from a power outtage, sometimes these cached registry values can go fubar.

Hit Control Panel, click on "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices".. then the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon in there.

The new window that pops up- the 3rd or 4th tab at the top is labeled "Audio"- click there. On the Sound Playback device at the top, hit the Advanced button to open yet another window.

Click the "Performance" tab in this new window and make sure Hardware Acceleration and Sample Rate Conversion quality sliders are maxed. If not, max them and click OK... keep clicking OK until you are back at the control panel.

Dunno if this is what ails ya, but it's worth looking at as I've seen this happen before with a shutdown XP pc here once. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back