Low CPU Performance for Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I recently noticed that everytime I play games on my computer I get very low framerates. I never had this problem before, and now all of a sudden it seems like my CPU is not performing well. I used the Windows Vista Reliability and Performance Monitor to monitor my CPU activity, and it seems as though everything is normal. My CPU activity stays at an average of 3% when I'm not doing anything, but one thing I am unsure of is, is it normal to have a Maximum CPU Frequency of 100%? If so then everything seems to be all right with my CPU. If not, then I have a problem with my CPU.

- When installing Rainbox Six Vegas on my computer, I got a message when the game scanned my PC configuration saying that my CPU did not meet their Minimum System Requirements for the CPU. Their Recommended Requirement was 3.0GHz for CPU's. Is it time for me to get a new CPU? I just got it last year...:(

- If anyone could provide a few suggestions or solutions, that would be great! :)

PC Specifications:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz
- Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX
- 2GB's of RAM
- ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Motherboard

Not every program supports dual-core and will make your frequency still run high. Most games you can patch it and it'll work alot better with dual-core. I think you can overclock the processor to 3.0GHz. And your processor should be fine its not old.

Dude you should be killing most games with that set-up (except Crysis and stupid Oblivion). Ignore rainbox 6 message that's based on single core, no worries there.

Basics of low FPS:
Overheating cpu or gfx card. Clean all fans of dust.
Spyware/Trojans hogging resources: Scan with avg antispyware and spybot.

If you were experiencing BSODs or hang ups, crashes etc. I'd suggest main board RAM too, but you didn't mention that just low fps.

So above is the only reason you should be having low fps. Assuming you're NOT trying to run other crap in the back ground while you're gaming.

hmm, just to be sure, check your BIOS and make sure your fsb is set at right speed (233 or 266) and your cpu multi is either 11 or 10 respectively. If not sure just load "fail-safe" defaults save exit and reboot.

-All of my fans are clear and nothing is overheating.
-My computer is free of any viruses and spyware.
-I don't run any other unnecessary programs in the backround while playing.

- I checked my BIOS and my FSB Speed is 1066MHz.
- My Ratio Actual Value is 10.-- Not sure if this was what you were talking about.

What I forgot to mention before was that this problem happened very recently and almost overnight. I used to be able to play Crysis on High with framerates of about 35, now on those settings it runs at about 10 frames per second. I recently bought new RAM and posted a thread about it, which you responded to, and I have now put the old RAM back in my computer. But this problem occured even BEFORE I got the new RAM. I'm not really sure what would be causing this poor performance...

- Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

- Also, should I download updates for my Motherboard and Processor?
- http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Most common problem that people have with slowed gaming speeds and performance is that the drivers are not completely updated.

When I first bought Gears of War, it said that I needed to update my video card and CPU driver, i declined and didn't bother because I was ignorant. It was an amazingly crappy crappy performace. I had to run a 640x480 Resolution at lowest settings for everything and it was still choppy, let alone that horrible visual of individual pixels because i have a 22 " monitor. Then I just updated my drivers because I like to be up to date with things. THen I played it again and Gears of War ran flawlessly.

So update your drivers for everything, including the one you mentioned in your last post.

Yeah your base fps is 266, so cpu multiplier is 10. Intel mobo use quad pump databus, so 266X4=1066, what your bios shows. Some bios will show that # as 266.

Hmm it sounds like your 8800 is having probs. DLoad Super Phi and run it and post your times for a 1M iteration. Do it several times to see if stable. This is a test of your cpu and ram, exactly leaving out the gfx.
Also run Prime95. Go to options/torture test, chose blend. Run this for at least 1/2 hr and see if you have any errors. Again gfx is not part of this, we are trying to determine if your cpu and ram are working fine.

Cheers.

Ok, so the results of the Super Pi test is 19 seconds for 1M.
Also, I didn't have any errors with the Prime95 test when I ran it for 1 hour and 6 minutes.

Ok 19 seconds is what you should get (I get 31 with my POS AMD 3500 939) and no errors on P95 tells us your CPU/Ram are working nicely, which means low fps can only be your gfx card.

It's not unheard of that the HSF unit can come loose from the gpu. Is it under warranty still?

It expires VERY soon, like this month.

- Do you know of any test I can put my graphics card through to see if something is wrong with it for sure?

dload 3DMark06 or 07. Now that we know your cpu and ram are running fine, if you get really low marks compared to others with similar rig as yours, then you know 8800 is going bad.

You'll have to check their website for similar scores (by closest rig) though, I can only take wild guess and say you should see score of 24,000 for 3Dmark06.

Also if you run any Steam games, like Counter Strike or DOD, TF2 etc, they have an on-line video stress test you can do.

I've already run 3DMark06 and it is significantly slower than a month ago when I tested my computer.

I guess it could be some conflict with your video drivers and mobo chipset drivers. Did you update either one of them around the time this started?

But my best guess is something is wrong with vid card. Did try running dxDiag? start/run..type dxdiag..then enter.

That's weird, everytime I try to run the updates it tells me that it doesn't apply to my system..

- Also, my DirectX works fine and I have all of the latest drivers for my computer, except for the ones above which aren't installing. I tried rolling back my drivers and my framerates remained the same.

RMA the card and get a new one. It's apparently the only option left, since everything points towards it being the culprit.

I am currently waiting for an XFX representative to respond to my support post about my graphics card, and I asked for an RMA on the card.

I had the same problem... Although I don't have as good of a setup as you do.
My problem was the CPU overheating... Even just taking the sidepanel off solved it for a while. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back