Low latency connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

Ok, I just gave a friend my old router, and he says that when playing wow, it says he has a "low latency" connection, and it is very slow. Could this have anything to do with the cat5 cord? Or could the router just be bad?

Low latency is exactly what you want. The lower your latency, the quicker the response is between you and the server. A high latency is bad, and is what online games will wanr you about.

While even the oldest of routers should process any home connection just fine, under normal conditions, if his actual connection is under high load due to torrenting, downloading, uploading, or the router itself is bad, it can cause higher latency than normal.

o ok, then i probably meant high latency, rather then low. This makes sense now because the reason i gave him the router was because he wanted to be able to play on wow while his bro played on xboxlive...So my guess is that he does not have enough bandwith to support both of these at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Assuming you mean high latency, you'll find it has nothing to do with your cable.

However, your router COULD be to blame, as well as your modem, connection (line, ISP) or even software (P2P file sharing programs running, viruses/spyware and even other users on your network).

What kind of connection does your friend have? Does he experience this when plugged directly into his modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back