Low Wireless throughput!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulling my hair out on this one, have a Linksys WAG54G adsl router on one PC running XP Pro, and a Dlink 54G wireless adapter in the other room on a PC running XP Home.

For some reason I only seem to be getting a throughput of 2.225 Mbps (using QCheck)??? and only half that comming back the other way.

Have tried replacing the NIC on the XP pro pc, signal strength is excellent, have tried different channels, have tried encrypted and non encrypted!

Just about run out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Throughput between what endpoints?

Any chance of interference like other wireless network or some 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones?

The 2 PC's 192.168.1.54 & 192.168.1.55 with the gateway being set up as 192.168.1.1, eliminated anything that could could cause interference and there was no difference in throughput, not signs of any other networks interfering.

Possible conflict between the 2 devices but every thing else seems to be working ok!

Maybe set the router to be in wireless G mode only? And some other tweak settings Linksys offers..

This speed doesn't look that bad if you have two PCs linked wirelessly. WiFi is half duplex, meaning that all stations have to wait until PC1 sends a packet to the AP, then all other stations have to wait until the AP sends the packet to PC2, then all stations wait while PC2 sends a reply to the AP, then everyone waits while the AP relays data to PC1..

I don't know what methodology QCheck uses. It may be something about the kind of data sent that is unsuitable for wireless environments.. What happens if you connect one of the PCs wired (or have you done that? still not clear), or just transfer big files between the computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back