Lycos beats Google to 1gb mail, for a fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Web portal Lycos has followed Google and Yahoo into the race to provide e-mail users with massive amounts of storage, and it claims to be beating these rivals already.

Lycos announced Tuesday that it is upgrading its service in the United Kingdom to give consumers 1GB of e-mail storage. But unlike some rival services being developed, the Lycos service is not free. Users will have to pay a monthly fee of 3.40 pounds ($6.01).

Read more: CNet News.

Why when you could use a free email account paired with Outlook, and store an infinite amount of gigabytes on your hard drive?

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Why when you could use a free email account paired with Outlook, and store an infinite amount of gigabytes on your hard drive?
Because with Outlook (or any other similar e-mail client) you're restricted to your own computer. What if you don't have a laptop that you carry everywhere and you need to refer to some of your old mails?

A ganeric free mail account is less than 10 megabytes. You'd have to have a 100 mail accounts to beat Google.

By the way, now that there has been a debate about Gmail's privacy, would you rather pay a bit and use a different e-mail provider than to have a free one with possible privacy issues?

Then again, who knows how Lycos handles private e-mails. Google says no human reads the mails, too. I've had no problems with Gmail.

Even with your ISP's Email you're never really sure if the Echelon "security system" isn't scanning your Emails either.

I always believed Emails stored by providers such as Hotmail were always read at one point or another by someone other then the account owner . I mostly use those Email adresses to register to forums & such, I rarely use them for really personal Emails.

If privacy is really a concern then take a pen & a pad & write the old way. But then again, are you sure your mailman doesn't open your letters before putting them in your mailbox ?
shrug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back