Lycos/Gain Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unseasoned

OK, I've done EVERYTHING here.

I've done the Hijack This scan, and deleted a bunch of stuff (in fact, I have to do this as soon as I turn my computer on, or else I won't get anywhere on the net).

I've done adaware, and I keep erasing the same stuff.

This is what happens - I get a bunch of popups, and GAIN Publishing asks me if I want to install - I always click no. Next thing I know, this Lycos Extra Search stuff is all over the place. That comes with a bunch of folders being put in my Program Files folder called IST Solutions (something like that), 1800 solutions and Internet Optimizer.

It's become a real hassle - every session I'm having to reboot atleast twice.

Also, when I control alt del, I find things like Msbb and a bunch of other odd stuff.

I definitely need help here - I have no idea what else to do besides reformat, and I have entirely too much stuff on my computer to do that.

Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:grinthumb I know exactly whats happening, because it happened to me too.

Alright, you're going to want to check your temp folders all over, startup, and other things. The installers for the spyware is being run when you start up, probably listed in autoexec, but anyway, the installation files are hidden in for me was just the temp folder. They aren't detected by adaware, well because they aren't spyware (yet). Let me get you a few directories to look at for strange stuff.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp (Mine were hidden in this one)

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\(your logon name)\My Documents (Suprizingly I found one in here)

Well anyway, just be a super detective. Oh, not to crush your dreams... but even though I found all those, many remained, and I was forced to system restore.

Good luck!

Errmmmm.. Not sure about Scythy's reasoning there..

Anyway, Spybot S&D (with updated definitions, ov course) run in Windows Safemode usually gets the Lycos SideSearch nonsense, as well as the IST/Gain stuff.

Adaware frequently doesn't do as well on the malware type apps as spybot does.

Also, can you post your Hijack This! log for us to examine? We can help you identify the sources being run at startup..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back