Macro help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Thomas

Hey. I'm trying to get a Macro to delete a row in Column A "if" it includes the number 9xxxxxx, e.g. 9000058. I also currently have it set to delete any rows where Column A is blank, or Column A is qqqqqqqq. These 2 work just fine, but I can't seem to get the 9xxxxxx deletion to work. Does anyone know how to get the Macro to look for wildcards? Here's the relevent section of the macro I'm using;

Dim rng As Range, cell As Range, del As Range
Set rng = Intersect(Range("A:A"), ActiveSheet.UsedRange)
For Each cell In rng
If (cell.Value) = "" _
Or (cell.Value) = "9******" _
Or (cell.Value) = "qqqqqqqq" Then
If del Is Nothing Then
Set del = cell
Else: Set del = Union(del, cell)
End If
End If
Next cell
On Error Resume Next
del.EntireRow.Delete

I'm not sure which language you're using, but if cell.Value is a string, you could try with a function that gets the leftmost character(s) from a string.

Yes. Try testing for cell.Value[0]="9" or however you reference characters in strings in VB

Thanks, I don't really know how to do that yto be honest. I'm basically reverse engineering stuff I've found on google ;) But I have made more progress in another area at least so this is really all I have to figure out. It's possible that there could well be other numbers beginning with 9, e.g. 990057 that wouldn't need to be deleted though so I can't just blanket delete anything that starts with 9. It's pretty minor though really.

If you know what sort of numbers you don't want deleted then you can just add another test before the deletion test. Like:

if (cell.value.length()=7) and (cell.value[0]) then

to make sure you delete only 7 digit numbers beginning with 9

Nope, I just get compile errors trying to use those. The value must always be 7 numbers long, with 9 being the first number. I'm googling away at it now

I never said these lines are syntactically correct :p
Just trying to give you the general idea here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back