Mad Catz 'Mojo' Android game console now shipping, priced at $249.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mad catz mojo android game console

If you’ve been considering the purchase of an Android gaming console like the Ouya or the GameStick but have been waiting for something with a bit more flexibility in terms of how you acquire apps, Mad Catz’ new M.O.J.O could be just what the doctor ordered.

The sleek machine is powered by Nvidia’s Tegra 4 processor clocked at 1.8GHz alongside 2GB of system RAM and 16GB of internal storage. Naturally, there’s a microSD card slot should your storage demands exceed what’s included. Elsewhere, we find an HDMI output, one USB 2.0 port, one USB 3.0 port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, 100 Mbit Ethernet, Wireless N and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity. The system runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Mad Catz also includes a C.T.R.L.R gamepad which works across Bluetooth 4.0. The company points out that the low-power capabilities of this connection method allow the controller to achieve exceptional battery life alongside lag-free gaming. What’s more, the gamepad can be used to replicate mouse movements on the screen which could be useful when surfing the web, etc.

Optionally, we are told you can use your trusty mouse and keyboard if that is your preferred method of input.

Perhaps the best feature of the M.O.J.O is that there is no walled garden to contend with. By this, I mean you aren’t limited to a console-specific app store like other offerings on the market. As such, any games that you have purchased through Google Play can be accessed and played through the console. This could be a serious selling point if you are already heavily invested in Google’s own storefront.

The machine retails for $249.99 and can be purchased directly from Mad Catz.

Permalink to story.

Tegra 4, which is nice, but 2.5 times the price of the OUYA? Hope it's got some killer performance! And I hope they have at least developed a good Android skin for a 10 foot interface, that (and the storefront) is primarily what the OUYA software is. If not, I'm sure someone will come up with a decent interface overlay pretty quickly. Definitely some potential there. Now, if we can just get one of these Android-powered game consoles to work with an external USB Blu-Ray drive, and play movies too, I'd really be happy!

It's also worth noting that the OUYA is hackable (the devs actually encourage it), and there are several methods for getting Google Play installed (from simple install mods through rooting to standard Android).

Wow these companies are all coping the success of others. This company will now fail . Who is going to buy this?

Wow these companies are all coping the success of others. This company will now fail . Who is going to buy this?

Well, the price point is rather high for what it is (too close to consoles). But, Mad Catz are a gaming equipment company, have been around a while, and the name might help in their marketing. Until Google and Amazon hit the market with something just as good but far cheaper, that is...

I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all the devices that I can attach to my TV. I'm going to need a TV with 125 HDMI Inputs at this rate. And a fat lottery check.

It only plays google play games lame, just let people run the game off their phones to the tv?

Mad Catz? makers of the cheapest most breakable console controllers around? actually the cheapest most breakable console accessories around?
No thanks.

This will arrive at my door tomorrow.. I'm pretty excited.. it's a high powered media center pc.. game streaming, movie playing, with enough connectivity to attach anything to it, even a external HDD. This plus it wont take another 300$ to get decent content AFTER buying the console, like other consoles out there..

Happy with the new MadCatz. We'll see tomorrow :)

Back