Mad Dog multimedia burner software woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul M

Hello all:

This is my first post. Please let me know if this is the wrong forum for me, and if so, where I should be posting.

I bought a Mad Dog multimedia DVD/CD burner recently. It came with Nero software. When I installed the software, it froze up my computer requiring cold boots. After a little troubleshooting to make sure it was related to the software, not some other problem, I wrote to Nero. Their tech support suggested I uninstall the program and install the update to their program they gave me a link to. That program also wreaked havoc on my computer, so I uninstalled this and decided not to pursue Nero for the time being.

So I'm looking for other software to burn CDs and DVDs. My needs are simple. I have no interest at this time in authoring anything. I only want to back up images and other data from my hard drive and make copies of existing CDs.

The reviews that are out there are equivocal. Has anyone had a similar experience with a Mad Dog burner and Nero software, and does anyone have recommendations for software that works?

I should add that although I'm an experienced computer user, I'm not very technically oriented, so please be kind. :blush:

Thanks so much,
Paul

Welcome to Techspot.

I have to tell you that Nero is really one of the best on the Market and very often if you are installing the Software improperly or have some conflicting software installed on your machine, another program will not help you.
Generally;
Go to the nero website and Download their General Cleanup and Registry checker tool(look in Support Tools) . Read and Print their instructions.
Next do a clean install of Nero. This is best done by using Msconfig to start windows with no running programs and unnecessary services.Anti virus,disk maintanance ,TSR/screensavers and other authoring software.
These items cause a lot of problems for any installations.
Download ForceASPI ver 1.7 read the instructions (Just a little Dos work) You install this after a successful install of Nero.
With some patience and carefully following some instructions you will find this will work.

Dear Liquidlen:

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure how to start Windows using msconfig but if I can't get help with this, will do my best to get out of all TSRS and other programs before trying again.

Also, what is ForceASPI, if I may ask? What does it do?

More rhetorically, I guess, in this day and age, why is it so hard (for average users) to download good software?

Thanks again,

Paul M.

You start msconfig by opening Start> Run >type ' msconfig ' (no quotes)in the box and enter.
It will allow you to configure different boot options .You should read the help file if you have never used it ,but it is an extremely important and handy app.

Aspi are a group of drivers for Roms to operate in Windows with certain Apps.
I believe due to some Licence issue between Adaptec and Microsoft ,Windows does not include these in a normal O/S .Most authoring Apps must have .It is 2-4 files that are loaded by a dos command.Force aspi is particular configuration that I have found to be simple and reliable.After installation , you open the infotool in Nero and confirm that the ASPI drivers are correctly installed.

As for programs being a Pain sometimes.What can I say! If you look at the infinite configurations possible on any given Computer it is really a wonder any of them work at all.My own philosophy is to accept this reality and move from there . Master what I can and get help when I need it.
This is exactly why I am here at Techspot.
By using a few common sense procedures with your comp you can save yourself a lot of grief.
I say one rule is to - Always investigate thoroughly before you install new Software/Hardware,Check the FAQ's at company site,Check the Forum for the item,Check popular magizine ste for reviews.
And for Heaven's Sake > Always check at Techspot!
I should write an AD....Ha
Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back