MadDog DVD Burner; Cannot recognize any media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceIP

When I first installed my new DVD Burner, I was able to burn just fine. At first I burned using CD Burner XP Pro, mostly because of its audio CD features. It worked perfectly for awhile, but now NO burning program I use is able to burn to any of my media.

It just happened all of the sudden. I tried to burn a data disc containing some simple SNES ROMS using ImgBurn, but I get an error saying Device not ready (medium not present). I've tried Fireburner, Nero, and others, but nothing recognizes my Hypermedia CD-Rs or my Memorex DVD+Rs. Windows cannot read it either when I browse to my E: (my DVD drive) in Windows Explorer.

I updated the firmware and everything. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to go out and buy new media to try, since I know what I already have works great. But now I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what's going on?

Since you report it as "new DVD burner", I would take it back to the place you bought it for a replacement under warranty. These DVD burners are unreliable rascals that have nothing to do with the way you have used it. Nearly all are made in Shanghai or other places in China mostly by machine. They use the user as the quality assurance test. We do not see any other component that fails as frequently as a DVD burner... regardless of the brand.
You might also try http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
Sometimes the belt slips off of the drive, but you don't want to try removing the screws to do so while it is still under warranty. Usually though, it is a failed laser or other chip anyway.

Raybay, I see where you say 'we' all the time. I assume that you work or own a PC repair store?!? But in your profile your occupation is listed as a Epidemiologist. I am a little confused. Where do you work?

Retiring Epidemiologist, soon to be cut loose later this month. My family has owned a computer repair business since 1986 in which I have worked since the beginning, letting my son boss me around.

Can you read disks? Have you checked the IDE cable? Have you tried the drive in another computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back