Made my first Comp....Some serious problems with fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuderman

Ok i decided to make a gaming computer to save myself some money. Well the next one i make i might save some money but this one had expensive learning curves... This is the system i have built.

P.4 @ 3.2
2 gigs 4x512 pc 3200 dual channel
Bfg 6800 gt
80 gb hard drive
gigaybyte Ga-8ik1100 MB
Liquid cooled video card and cpu

I intially had overheating problems when i first completed cpu which is why i switched to liquid cooling. Now my problem is in games like Bf2, CS.S and lineage 2 in run about 1-15 fps sometimes for anywhere from 1-10 mins. And then it will run at 100+ sometimes. I have tried to turn all graphics down to minimum...make sure no AA or AF on. and still same thing happens. Which is wired i think that it can sometimes run 100+ and then most of the time it kicks down to 1-15. I thought it might be my video card so i purchaed 1 from best buy and installed it....i still had the same problem. Now when my cpu used to overheat when i first made the comp it ran no hotter than 52 C. Do you think this may have dammged it? When the FPS drops to its lowest point i think i can hear either hard drive or cpu noise. I will greatly appreciate any feedback :giddy: tyvm

your cpu is probably fine, my system idles at about 35 - 45 C and then when playing games it gets up to about 55C i should think. Normally CPU's will overheat at about 75C +. So your CPU is probably fine. The noise you hear could be your harddrive, what make and what speed is it? 7200rpm, 5400rpm? Also have you got the latest drivers for your video card, the latest i believe is 81.85...

have you got the latest Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)?

pkroks said:
your cpu is probably fine, my system idles at about 35 - 45 C and then when playing games it gets up to about 55C i should think. Normally CPU's will overheat at about 75C +. So your CPU is probably fine. The noise you hear could be your harddrive, what make and what speed is it? 7200rpm, 5400rpm? Also have you got the latest drivers for your video card, the latest i believe is 81.85...

have you got the latest Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)?

Sorry my hard drive is accutaly 120 gigs. Its 7200 rpm and i cant remember for sure but im guessing maxtor or something like that. And yes i have latest drivers for all compoents. I keep hoping new drivers will fix my propblem but none of them seem to make a difference.

Are sure you don't have any spyware or trojans. To jump from low FPS to high FPS something is using resources! I've heard (from this site, can't find the post/link) that BF2 runs on GameSpy which is loaded with spyware, remove Gamespy and run spybot, do reg clean too after removing Gamespy.

Worth a try.
Edit: Also read this link on HiJackThis logs: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

I have run adware 6.0 and spybot regulary to keep my system clean..And i have a 550 watt PS so i think thats is plenty. And my system only uses 140mb of ram at idle so i dont think there are any spyware programs leaching.

Hi spuderman,

BF2 in particular can be choppy the first couple minutes after joining a map. This is normal as it loads up all the game assets on busier servers after selecting your kit and spawning. It should smooth out though after 2-3 minutes and shouldn't revert to slow/sluggish performance until the next map change.

On your BFG 6800GT- is this an "OC" and with 256MB?

If it's an OC, it's quite possible even with your cooling the GPU is throttling back while playing. A good test would be to enable CoolBits for the NVIDIA drivers to view GPU/memory clock speeds (if it's not already in your NVIDIA driver settings). With this enabled, try reducing the GPU speed by 25-30mhz and same with the memory for a test. If at reduced clockspeed performance balances out, you know your GPU is throttling back from heat issues.

Also, I'd highly recommend obtaining SiSoft Sandra at:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177

Run it's memory bandwidth tests and report your speeds. The top two bars/graphs after running the test are what's most important... and on that rig should be toppling over 5000mb/s on both bars if memory/dual-channel and memory speeds are setup correctly.

Ok i downloaded the file from your link and ran the memory test. First 2 bars on the top said: 4501 mb/s and 4481 mb/s. And i tried the declocking of my video card ny 25 mhz of each...Did not make any kind of differnece that i could tell. I understand Bf2 is very demanding and i have given up on playing that..But lineage 2 which is what i play most often runs 1-20 fps all the time. With jumps to 40-60 fps. My roomate has a fx-55 with 2 gigs dual channel and 7800gt and it runs flawlessly at 4x 8x on his cpu. i think i should be able to run the same game relatively smooth with my comp. Is mine just out dated now?? Oh and while i ran my Video card declocked i played CS source for a bit to check the fps..i ran anywhere from 150+ then in the 80's for a bit and then i hit the 20's and less again as always. It just seems weird to me how much it flucuates. :mad:

And tyvm to all you guys posting trying to help me out ^^
This problem really bugs me alot and i have spent alot of time trying to fix it.

Seems a lot of people are having 6800 bugs these days.

If it's not the PS, or cooling, or RAM, or HDD, or software, or "bugs", or viruses, or the games themselves, or the system speed in general, or OC settings, or game quality settings, or drivers, or background programs............then by golly it's probably the light bulb above your desk! Have you tried that yet :)

Maybe as an expirement, hop in to Lineage and get yourself to a wide open space with nobody else around, and just sit there. Zoom in on yourself so there isn't much to render. And just sit there and watch how your system acts. I would think when not "playing", it would find an idle and stay there, but keep an eye on hard drive usage and fps and so forth.
When it starts to go down laggy, ALT-TAB out and go into Task Manager, look at your Performace tab for CPU and RAM, and look at usage for your processes in the Processes tab.
If CPU usage is pinged at 100%, find what process is doing it, which may or may not be Lineage. If it's anything else BUT, try ending the process (as long as it isn't a critical system process).

If CPU usage is 100% but NO process shows themselves using it, then there is some sort of memory leak going on in Windows itself. Could be driver related, or one its own core files. You could try Start-Run and type SFC /scannow. It may require your XP CD.

Other then that I don't know. Change some light bulbs, open the side of the case and put a fan on it, move your TV around. Who knows? :)

Vigilante said:
Seems a lot of people are having 6800 bugs these days.

If it's not the PS, or cooling, or RAM, or HDD, or software, or "bugs", or viruses, or the games themselves, or the system speed in general, or OC settings, or game quality settings, or drivers, or background programs............then by golly it's probably the light bulb above your desk! Have you tried that yet :)

Maybe as an expirement, hop in to Lineage and get yourself to a wide open space with nobody else around, and just sit there. Zoom in on yourself so there isn't much to render. And just sit there and watch how your system acts. I would think when not "playing", it would find an idle and stay there, but keep an eye on hard drive usage and fps and so forth.
When it starts to go down laggy, ALT-TAB out and go into Task Manager, look at your Performace tab for CPU and RAM, and look at usage for your processes in the Processes tab.
If CPU usage is pinged at 100%, find what process is doing it, which may or may not be Lineage. If it's anything else BUT, try ending the process (as long as it isn't a critical system process).

If CPU usage is 100% but NO process shows themselves using it, then there is some sort of memory leak going on in Windows itself. Could be driver related, or one its own core files. You could try Start-Run and type SFC /scannow. It may require your XP CD.

Other then that I don't know. Change some light bulbs, open the side of the case and put a fan on it, move your TV around. Who knows? :)

Ok i tossed my lamp in the garbage cuz i think your right about it. So now that its outta the way i can continue playing at 100+ fps. :p i wish cuz i would have no problems plying in the dark if it would just work!!. Ok so i went to empty place in L2 and sat there and watched my fps. It stayed right at 108 fps. I did this for 20 mins. It never moved excpet for when i moved my mouse it droped to 100 then would go back up to 108 or 109 and stay there. When i zoomed out and would look around it would go anywhere from 30-100+. then when i went to busy area it stays at about 7 and less fps...and there is always alot of what i assume is hard drive noise. I tried this after i did the SFC /scannow with my xp cd...So does this mean i am doomed to be playing my comp games at awful fps forever now? Cuz if so im gonna buy an x-box >< i would hate to turn my back on the computering gaming world but i just cant stand it anymore!!

Could it be slow simply because it isn't receiving data fast enough over the Internet? What kind of connection do you have? Rated speed it is supposed to be? You have a router or anything?

What about playing a game that doesn't use the Internet at all, how does that run?

Also when the fps is low, ATL-TAB out and go into Task manager and just watch the values for a while.

As a thought, do you have compression turned ON, on your hard drive? That might be compressing the files used by the game? (go in My Computer- right click C: drive and choose Properties)
I ran Lineage just fine on my old Nvidia 5700 Ultra. No reason why your hardware can't play good unless the hardware is malfunctioning, or there are serious Windows issues.

Before scraping the PC, you could always attempt a reload with all latest drivers. Otherwise you'll have to find some more serious diagnostic tools. Or else just take it to a repair shop.

I forgot about the HDD noise, which of course indicates it's working like crazy to obtain files it needs. A defrag might help.

I agree, this rig should play BF2 pretty good, the 6800GT is a good card. Also as Vigilante asked, how does it play BF2 as single person?
If it starts high FPS and then slows down that might indicate an overheating issue with the GPU or CPU. ( I know this was discussed), I'm just making sure it's not forgotten. :giddy: It's just so weird, there has to be a memory leak or a worm/trojan, something taking up resources.

Ok i ran lineage 2 for about 20 mins. In an area with lots of people and lots of action i ran around 25-30 fps for a maybe a max of 5 mins. Then it droped to 5-9 fps for a bit and went back and forth. When the lag hit i checked system resources with crt*alt*del. There were the same normal programs running. I sorted them by mem usage and the top ones were l2.exe, explorer.exe, svchost.exe, ccapp.exe. For usages of 319k, 18, 15k, 12k. I have a cable internet conection split with a router. On internet speed testes i run 2000+ kb. When i play bf2 in single player i get the exact same lag as when i play multi. Now when i first had comp i made many changes to try to keep this thing cool...do you guys think in the 3-4 times i changed fans/heatsinks my cpu may have been dmged in any way?

Do you have any Ram managements tools running ? Those can slow your system down when they try to free some memory.

I wouldn't really recommend doing this but for an extreme diagnostic. But you could go in to MSCONFIG and pretty much disable EVERYTHING, even services. Unless they are absolutely needed to run Windows.
With everything turned off, restart, and hopefully it will come up. Then try playing the game.
If something is missing that won't let it run, turn it back on one by one until Windows can run.

When checking services in the "services" tab, click the checkbox to hide microsoft entries. Then uncheck the rest. They will probably be Antivirus and possibly drivers. Leave any driver entries for you video and sound intact.

If this little test doesn't seem to be going anywhere, go back into MSCONFIG and set it to "Normal" on the first tab, then restart.

This should rule out a good majority of background program issues.

Are you using any "backup" or "recovery" apps like Go-Back, or drive overlay software, or any such things you could turn off?

you could try downloading game xp, it is a cool little tool, basically it gets rid of all the crap that windows doesn't need to play games sorta like what Vigilante is saying to do, except this one does it automatically. just search google for the download..

Hmm, Game XP you say, sounds good. I'm going to do that tonight when I get home. Thanks pkroks. I keep posting so I can stay on this thread and help if I can and also learn. I too checked processes running when was on CS.S last night and had same as spuderman: explorer.exe, svchost.exe, ccapp.exe. taking a hogs worth of RAM. In total I had 580K of my 1G running, I said "WTFudge". CS.S was using a puny 118K, the rest was windows or whatever. OK, Source itself was using 18K, but still, what if you only had 512K of mem?

I had ran HiJackThis the night before and followed all the instructions posted by REALBLACKSTUFF, I had no bad processes running!

spuderman: Did you ever run the HiJackThis software?

I dont have any Ram management propgrams. I tried the game Xp propgram and it did not improve my perfromace at all...I guess i will try the hijack software next. And i dont use any recovery programs either. And then i guess i will try the msconfig.

thats what happes when you game with a comp,if you had a ps2 you wouldnt have to go through all of this just to play a videogame

Same Problem

I have what seems like the same problem. It only does it for about the first 5 minutes in particular games (doom3 and GTA: SA are the ones Ive been testing it with) and then the games run fine. This problem just started recently; a few months ago I could play these games with no problem.

I did a complete re-format and reinstall of windows xp. I tried it with both raedon and a geforce video cards (low level cards), and with both onboard audio and USB audio, nothing seems to work. I am begining to think it is something with my hard drive or cd-rom, because it always happens after I load a new level or section.

I am going to buy a small hard drive soon and try replacing the hard drive, I'll tell you if it helps.

System: P4 2 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, 80 GB 7200 RPM HardDrive, Radeon 9000 AGP 4x, SB Audigy2,

Check your PSU, it maybe getting old and not able to supply enough power. Hadyou installed new software or hardware when this problem starting happening?

macklessdaddy said:
thats what happes when you game with a comp,if you had a ps2 you wouldnt have to go through all of this just to play a videogame

Nice input from the village ***** there. :eek:

Can you tell us what was the point in that statement. Because it has not helped him whatsoever.

Here are some things that should help...

Reinstall Windows (complete Format)
Install Drivers 5.10's for the Nforce http://www.nvidia.com
Install Omega Drivers http://www.omegadrivers.net (Tweaked for Performance)
Install AVG Free Edition http://free.grisoft.com (uses less system resources)
Install AD-Aware SE http://www.download.com type in search (all the Spyware Scan you need)
and what you want to do is MSCONFIG in the run and take off everything except AVG, and anything that is used by the system
also run Memtest86 for the Ram, and Prime 95 for the CPU, and 3DMark for the overall system perfomance... I mean you might as well try your system and make sure everything is working nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back