main pc network unplugged when laptop shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im a newbie on the site and need help
My main pc keeps dropping the connetion to the internet when my laptop is shut down. I have just set up a x micro router so that my daughter can use my internet connection with her laptop, everthing works fine while the laptop is connected but as soon as the laptop is shut down the connection keeps saying local area connection unplugged every few minuets ,then if i reconnect the laptop the connection is fine again. The connection is also ok when the main pc is directly into the modem
so its not the connection
The main pc is on win 2000 and is hard wired into the router I also have just connected another old pc which is also on win 2000 to the router (hard wired)
and it s connection drops out at the same time as the main pc so it appears to be a problem between the router and the modem ? which is confusing as it then works ok when the lap is working on wireless can any one help
thanks in anticipation malc

Welcome to TechSpot

Can you explain some more what you have there?

Modem (cable, dsl or dialup) which one?
Router (wired or wireless)
Main PC running Windows 2000 Pro or ME?
Laptop running what OS?
Is the Laptop wireless or wired?

Did you create a home workgroup network?
Did you give it a name like (malc23)

Are all the PCs setup correctly to obtain the IP?
Which brand of Router did you get?

On the Main PC do this...
Click on start
Click on run
type: cmd (if you're running Windows 2000 Pro)
type: cd\windows
type: ipconfig /all >mainpc.txt
type: route print >mainpc2.txt
press enter
type: exit

Now

click on start
click on run
type: c:\windows\mainpc.txt
click okay
click on start
click on run
type: c:\windows\mainpc2.txt

Now repeat the above for the laptop but make sure you change first mainpc.txt to lappc.txt and call the second one mainpc2.txt to lappc2.txt.

Compare what you get to see what's going on in your workgroup network setup.

thanks for the reply ,here is the answer to your questions
1. modem is (ntl cable)2. the router is (wired)main pc is (win 2000 pro)
3.laptop is running (xp home)4 the laptop is (wireless)5.Not quite sure about the question // did you create a home workgroup network & the name malc23(is this the name when setting up the router SSID ?, 6.The computers are set to obtain ip address automatically & also dns automatically
the brand of router is (x micro)XWL 11GRAR) Please not i have not done the click start run bit yet (sounds a bit out of my depth)so have answered your questions first, with another question (as in question 5) thanks again

Why are you running XP Home, should keep everything in sync. I had the same problem last year got a laptop for a gift with XPH. Gave nothing but trouble trying to connect to XP Pro boxes and 2003 Server. Decided to just install XP Pro the problem was gone. Home version doesn't do well in a workgroup enviroment.

hi i think the fact that you suggest xp home might be the problem leads me to think you have overtaken the actal problem, As i havent got as far as trying to share files & printers etc, Im still trying to resolve basic connection problems which is to Re Cap : when the main pc is hard wired into the router with nothing else connected the connection keep dropping every few mins with the little bubble that says local area connection unplugged! // If i then boot up the laptop the connection to my hard wired pc never drops out then as soon as the laptop is closed down the connection says local area unplugged every few mins // I need to resolve this before I can get to even start the sharing bit please note if the main pc is connected into the modem the connection never drops ??
so if its hard wired its just like using an extension lead //I have two theorys at the moment one is the settings are (to find Ip address automatically)
is this ok?) or has it got to be a fixed Ip address ?// The second theory is the next doors router is interfering with mine in which case do you suppose mine should be interfering with his ?? ( it isnt )any ideas please
cheers malc

Try to connect the laptop to the router using a CAT5 cable. What happens then?
Is that laptop perhaps connecting to your neighbour's wireless network?
Can your neighbour connect to your wireless network?
Have you installed ICS on any of the main PCs? If so, uninstall.

All PCs and laptop should be set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

what do you mean when you say ICS ? If you mean security lock on the router set up then yes it is set to WPA If not please explain

your previous post says to uninstall ICS ?
Having read the link a i dont think i have installed it on the main pc (os win 2000) unless it is a sevice pack update & (B) if it is installed how do i uninstall it ? (although it maybe on the laptop which came with everthing on it win xp home (still learning but still dont understand)do i install or uninstall
( which ever ( how do i do it ) ? where sdo i find it to uninstall it

ok back to square 1 Its my birthday TODAY 55 so it takes a little longer to learn these days but im trying ! please be gentle with me and help X micro have informed me today 23/1/07 THERE IS NO FIRMWARE FOR MY MODEL XWL-11GRAR
(as yet )AN THEY THINK MY PROBLEM IS VERY STRANGE BEHAVIOUR but still dont offer any solution ((Here is the problem)) Local area connection 2 network cable unplugged (continually connecting & disconnecting every few mins / seconds
Am I right in saying I should be able to use my router to connect ( network) between two computers (hardwired) and a laptop on wireless without being connected to the internet ?PS ZONE ALARM DISABLED !at the time !
If so why does it keep telling me my local area connection is unplugged
And disconnecting all three computers at the same time from each other ?
(Not that I ever got them connected TO EACH OTHER in the first place !)
every few mins / seconds it says local area connection is unplugged & then
reconnects only to disconnect again ----------------
Router is X Micro (PC 1&2 are OS WIN2000) Laptop is wireless xp home
What is going on ? (carn find the printer to share \ carnt find the other pc’s to share ?
SUSPECT connction fails before i get chance to find the printer or the other pc 's
cheers malc (not very smiley)
ps.all pc's are set to obtain ip address automatically (think this is right)ok
have checked ip addresses are different by doing ipconfig while all are connected
answer to all u tech guys is all same IP but different last digets .100 .101 .102 ( still ok yes)
THANKS Malc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back