Major XP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorin

I recently built a system and put xp pro on it. Everything was going fine until I decided to reformat. Upon doing so and trying to reinstall windows, it hangs at the boot screen (blue bar goes across twice or so). The installation did not finish, and i can never get it to no matter what i try. When going to safe mode it hangs at mup.sys. I can't disable it, I've switched out all the hardware i could, tried different hdds, used a hdd with xp working fine on it, even rebuilt the system, but I always get the same problem. I've tried almost everything I can think of save going back to 98. At the moment I've got a $2000 paper weight. If you need to know any more details just ask, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to techspot!
Try the option to place the installation files on the hard disk and install from there.

I have been searching the net for mup.sys apparently it is only used by novell servers.

Boot from the windows cd run the recovery consol and type "disable mup"(without the quotes) hit enter.

Apparently that should solve the problem.

I really hope this helps.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

How would I go about putting the files on the hard disk? Also I can't disable mup.sys, I get some lengthy error message about the registry.

I must admit it I`m stumped.

I`ve searched till I`m blue in the face there are that many different explanations and supposedly solutions that it leaves my head spinning.

If you do find something that works please will you let us know.

I hope you find a solution and I`m sorry that I couldn`t help you.

Regards and best wishes Howard :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you have another PC, take that HD out and format it in the other PC, either using Fdisk or Partition Magic. Give it a 10-15GB partition for the OS and the rest for data in another partition.
Then stick it back in your paperweight and install XP.

Thorin said:
How would I go about putting the files on the hard disk? Also I can't disable mup.sys, I get some lengthy error message about the registry.

Carefully read the options when you boot to the win CD one option writes the files to the disk ,It is a good idea to have at least 2 partitions and write the setup files to the non boot partition.

Wish I could try formatting in another computer but I only have one box that supports sata. I'll try that with a different hdd though and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, I hope I'm close to solving this.

You said earlier that 98 works on that machine ,it follows that a 98 boot floppy should be able to Format>Fdisk > build new partitions.

Im having the same problems as you. We did have the sasser worm on my computer and I knew when it was going to come on but now I got rid of it I cant even get on to my computer.

I don't have any usb cards, just my vid card. I think I can trace the problem to either bad ram or bad mobo. My guess is the mobo, xp was working fine because it was already installed with a different mobo, but that one screwed up. Gonna run a few test and probably get a new one, I'll post here with the results.

It was indeed my motherboard. Got a new Asus p4c800e deluxe and everything is going fine, cept I can't find the fsb/ddr ratio option in the bios, even the most recent one. Any help with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back