Make Icons from Commandline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_hz

I really need a commandline program that can produce 32bit icons and Vista Icons from PNG files. It has to be a commandline program since I need to use it in a batch script.

I've tried png2ico, but it can't produce icons with more than 256 colors and a 128x128 resolution. I then tried IconBox/ToYcon, but it didn't work from the commandline.

So could anyone recommend a program like png2ico that can make 32bit icons?

Edit: Tried XnView, but the transparency looked screwed up in the icons it made and it didn't work from a commandline. :(
Edit: Found an application called "Any to Icon", it worked great except it can't make icons for Vista (256x256 with PNG compression) so I'm still searching...

Does it need to be a windows/dos command line program? I think ImageMagick on *nix can do it. I do something similar but not for icons. I think there is even a windows version of ImageMagick and it's GPL.

ImageMagick or NetPBM are my recommendations too. Both should have Windows versions and you could always use Cygwin too.. :p

ImageMagick completely screws up the transparency of every image that I throw at it and finding help on google doesn't seem to work. Even a simple "convert a.png a.jpg" doesn't work! If I can't get it to work I'll have a go at NetPBM.
--
Edit: Could someone please tell me what command I should use to tell IM that my png has an an alpha channel and how to make it copy the alpha to the icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back