Malware has taken over my computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormriot

Please help me....

My computer is flooded with spyware and other nasties. It won't allow me to open up my programs such as spybot and ewido, even when I am in safemode. Also, my internet browser closes automatically after a certain period of time. As well, as there is a searchbox on my toolbar and ads keep popping up as well too.

I already did what you have suggested in the forum
on how to get rid of spyware, but unfortunately, I am
still having problems.

If you can help me on this issue that would be greatly
appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`re not kidding, you`re system is riddled with nasties.

It appears you`re not running any firewall software and you`re running a completely unpatched version of Windows. Both of these is a huge security risk

I don`t know if your system is worth cleaning. It might be easier to bite the bullet and reformat.

I`ve certainly got no problem with trying to clean your system, but it might take a hell of a long time. Obviously it`s your choice as to what you want to do.

If you decide to try and clean your system, you will need to follow all the instructions exactly.

Let me know what you want to do.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of stormriot only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you so much for the fast response.

you`re running a completely unpatched version of Windows.
What does that mean?

I also have no clue on how to reformat my windows. I do not have a problem with cleaning my system. Whichever is easiest and will give the best results thats what I would like to do.

Also what type of firewall software should I use?

Thank you once again for helping me out this issue.

stormriot said:
What does that mean?

I also have no clue on how to reformat my windows. I do not have a problem with cleaning my system. Whichever is easiest and will give the best results thats what I would like to do.

Also what type of firewall software should I use?

Thank you once again for helping me out this issue.

It means you have no Windows service packs installed. I.E service pack 1 or service pack 2 both available via Windows updates.

Let`s try and clean your system.

Download and install the free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Install whichever firewall you chose, followed by AVG and reboot your system the required number of times. Run the AVG updates.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of stormriot only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok I tried installing the I.E service pack 1 and it wouldn't install. I already have AVG but I cannot open it and it wouldn't let me install anything else on my computer though. So I restarted my computer and it will not allow me to open up any programs at all! So I decided to upgrade my xp again and it still says that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this file".

This computer seems to get worse and worse. At least I can use the internet though. But what should I do?

I did say you system might not be worth cleaning.

In your particular circumstances, I think it`s probably best to reformat and reinstall from scatch.

This is not something I like to advise, but I don`t see any other alternative in your case.

It`s likely the viruses you have have damaged your OS files and that`s why you`re having so many problems with your machine.

Regards Howard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back