Manually configuring internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocks911

First of all let me say thanks to all on this board that are so helpful, a poor newbie like me would have given up a long time ago if it weren't for the great help I've found here.

Now the problem,

I have PeoplePC dial up (yaeh I know, I know, not much choice though) and I recently downloaded their "new and improved" software which is certainly new but not improved.

I'm having Bartshell.exe issues which is PeoplePC's program that is intergrated with IE and the method I have used flawlessly to connect for some time now but after the download not so much. Apparently a lot of people are having the same problem. I don't want to play this game any more and just want to manually configure my connection so I don't have to involve their crappy program at all.

Unfortunately I'm not having any luck. I went through the process of Control Panel-Internet Options- Set up an internet connection but it is not working. That is the suggested workaround that everyone recommends and it seems pretty straightforward but I guess not so much.

It's funny how easy the process looks, answer a few easy questions and TADA your hooked up. Well again not so much. After answering those few easy questions it doesn't work. So I access Control Panel-Inetrnet Options- Connections-PeoplePC (the account I created) and then go to settings for that connection and my password is not saved, I don't know what to enter for a domain name, what to check or not in the automatic settings options etc., etc.

Egad what a pain in the ...

So any help out there?

Thanks in advance, Darryl

Hi

I'm going to have to dig out the manual for "how to create a dial up connection" (blows dust off cover)....sneezes...its been a while..

First you need the number the connections going to dial to connect...

Start >settings >control panel >internet options>conenctions > add >dial up to a private network>enter phone number>next>give it a name>next >username and password are whatever you use to autenticate to the ISP, leave domain blank> OK.

Thats it, whenever you launch explorer it should come up with the dial up, the first time you may have to enter your password, but tick the box that says remember password and it should remember it the next time.

Regards

That is not working for me

That's kind of the point of why I am posting. As I indicated in my first posting I've tried that and it didn't work. Any thoughts on why it didn't work?

Having trouble manually establishing a dial-up connection. I know, I know, a dial-up? Well it’s my only option.

I connect through PeoplePC and their software stinks to high heaven so I’m trying to configure a connection. Before you laugh just know that I have received the same advice from a number of people along the lines of “that’s simple, all you do is …” well it’s not working so could I get some help please?

I’ll go through the process for ya:

Control Panel – Internet Options – Connections – click Setup -
Welcome to the New Connection Wizard – click next – Connect to the internet – click next – Set up my connection manually – click next – Connect using a dial-up modem – click next – enter ISP name (PeoplePC) – click next – enter phone number (no spaces or dashes) – click next – enter Username and Password and Confirm Password – click next – Add a shortcut to the desktop – click finish.

Now before I even attempt this connection I go back to Control Panel – Internet Options – Connections – select the account I just created and look at settings. The settings are wrong, the password is several digits too long.WHATS UP WITH THAT? I reset the password click O.K. and close out. I go back and it’s reverted to the password that is much too long. Sheeeesh!

So I try anyways with no success.

I don't even think that's the problem, I just started noticing that today as I work on this, I don't remember noticing the password problem yesterday. I remember having the same difficulties years ago when I configured my dial-up but don't remember what the solution was. These days ISP's make your life soooooo convenient with their software who needs to manually configure... yeah right!

Anywho, if anyone has a clue please let me know. Thanks

Hi

The OS will pad out the password field to prevent someone using a brute force password generator from knowing the password length.

So when you dial up with the new made connection, what happens, do you get a reply, are you denied access, is there any messages to point to why you cant get connected...

Regards

I have the volume on so I can hear the process. It dials in and the modem communicates as always then I get an error message telling me that I can not be authenticated because the computer did not recognize either my username, my password, or the domain name. Both my username and my password have been the same for years so thats not it and peoplePC in an e-mail to me indicated that there is no need to fill anything out for the domain info. So your guess is as good as mine, Actually probably better but I'm giving up for today. Less stressful things to do.

Thanks for the reply, I'll work on it later. I can connect just not in the way I need to.

rocks911,
uninstall the modem, reboot, reinstall the modem. Use the software PeoplePC gave you to set up the connection. Go to the PeoplePC website using another PC and see if your password and user name lets you into the downloads area. This will tell you that your user name and password are active

You should call this thread "Manually configuring a dialup internet connection" There is a hugh difference between dialup and any other form of Internet connection. Have I worked with this before? Yes! I hate dialup with a passion. If I can afford DSL or cable, so can you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back