Mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adambcohen

I have a client that I getting ready to take over his computers. The person before me set up two computers. Comp1 is the server and Comp2 is this the client; however they are both running xp pro. Comp1 has to be on for Comp2 to work and see the mapped drive. Now my client has a router which these two computers are attached. Also, for Comp2 to access the internet Comp1 has to be on as well. This just does not make sense. One last thing every so often Comp2 will say that the mapped drive can not find the server. Just strange....I need help
Adam Cohen

Why? Are there security, network, or software issues? Were there more computers connected to the "server" at one time?
Curiosity makes me ask you for an update when you figger it out... But

First this is a ciropratic, (sorry for the spelling) office. They are using a networked database. The actually database is on the server and the mapped drive is on comp2. They are both running norton internet security. I just do not understand why comp2 would be so dependent on the server. Also, comp2 is a older machine that was running Me and they upgraded to Xp. Comp2 is actually saying when things happen is "drive not found", and "unable to find server". Then the comp2 will log itself off.
Adam

You sure you really want to "take over his computers" as a client? Sounds like untold troubles without any way to make money and a lot of ways to fail... none of which will be your fault. Do you know this client? Can you make a success out of this? Sounds like a never ending time committment to a client who is already a disaster. Do you know anything about the previous tech/company? Unless paid by the hour, and payment is guaranteed, I would drop this company like a hot rock.

You need to make sure that each PC has a different User name/login, same PC workgroup and also authorized to view the mapped drives.

You say both systems are needed for comp2 to use the Internet -- sounds wrong.
when the mapped drive is dropped, does comp2 still have access
to the Internet -- I would venture NO!

Solve your networking issues and leave the mapped drive problem for later,
as networking is required to have mapped drives.

Both systems should have network cables directly to the router and internet
access w/o depending upon the other.

Raybay said:
You sure you really want to "take over his computers"
Good point. you get the responsibility AND the BLAME. Do you have a software
update inventory for ALL systems and firmware status on ALL devices?

There has got to be a way to resolve this without having to start from scratch.
What options do I have at this point.......
Adam

I am will to quess that if I loose the drive I loose the internet too.

adambcohen said:
There has got to be a way to resolve this without having to start from scratch.
What options do I have at this point.......
Adam

I am will to quess that if I loose the drive I loose the internet too.
That should NEVER be the case. If so, you can easily separate the two issues.
Solve the networking issue FIRST.

adambcohen said:
So on the network side were should I start.
Adam
I would pick one system(a client) as a test vehicle and unmap all drives, then reboot it.

if it's in a domain, login as normal and make sure to drop all drives acquired by
the login.

now ping google.com
you should get timing info and no timeouts.

if this works, your browser should to, so try it here

if you get timeouts, then use tracert google.com to find out where the routing fails.
this is likely to be a proxy used by your company (ie: the ip address is within your subnet )
and you will just need to live with it.

you can test access to your fileserver with ping also, just add the server name
ping $yourfileserver
this must work for drive mapping to work.

to test the reliability, use
pathping -p 1000 -w 500 $yourfileserver
you should have 0% loss

Thank you for that last reply. I have talked to everyone at the office. The client is an older machine about 7-8 years old. So they are going to by a new computer and go from there. Then I should be able to start from square one. Then I can spend time on the old client. Does that sound better than trying to figure out what the last person did?
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back