Mapped network drives and p/w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm running Server 2003 with a few applications on it that are accessed from two ethernet wired computers and two connecting with remote desktop (running XP and Vista). I want to change the log on p/w to the user account where these apps are running on Server 2003. I tried it last night and then tried to access from one of the ethernet computers and it said it wasn't accessible. I guess these connections are mapped (I didn't set it up).

Do I need to go and delete the connections off of each computer and remap a network drive? Or is there an easier way for me to do this.

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what you mean ...

You changed the program log in password? That should be as simple as changing the log in details on both PC's within the program they are running, right?

It doesn't sound like anything else has changed on the physical network (IP address of server/hostname/etc).

Changing user acct p/w on server and mapped drives

After I changed the log in password to the Windows Server 2003 account where the files reside that are, I guess, mapped on the other computers that are running XP or Vista. When I tryed to run Quick Books (the data files are on the server) or double clicked on a file in Network Places, from a network computer, it either tells me the file isn't accessible or prompts for a user name and password.
Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sounds a little confusing, but basically if you are trying to access data on a PC and are prompted for a username/password, this means you are not authenticating correctly.

Create an account on the PC you are trying to access that matches your username/password exactly.

Each PC should have a default admin user name and password that matches what you have on server. When you change the master account admin password you need to change clients unless. Are you running active directory also or just plain server features. Doesn't sound like you're doing that. Active Directory have control over all applications and users and printers. You can give permission to users to access certain applications control VPN change user passwords an etc.. That's the correct way of doing it. But if you're just at home you might not want to run a domain. You can do it would be called mydomain.com.

Good advice Tipstr, although with regards to the domain name; mydomain.com would need to be registered externally with a DNS host, whereas mydomain.local or mydomain.priv FQDN's are non-routable on the internet and are designed for use within LAN's. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back