Mark Zuckerberg reportedly has a secret escape chute beneath his conference room

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: When you’re the head of an increasingly controversial company with unprecedented reach and also one of the world’s richest men, personal security is of the utmost importance. Such is the case with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

According to a report from Business Insider, Facebook’s board of directors in July 2018 approved a $10 million security allowance for Zuckerberg and his family for the year. With that kind of money, we’re talking serious protection which, according to the report, is warranted.

Facebook’s executive-protection team consists of more than 70 people. Led by former US Secret Service special agent Jill Leavens Jones, the team provides Zuckerberg and Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg with a 24/7 security detail.

The report claims that Zuckerberg is surrounded by security guards at all times who wear civilian clothes to better blend in with other employees. He is driven everywhere he goes, accompanied by security teams that monitor traffic ahead of time. Amusingly, one source described Zuckerberg as a “shit driver” when he still drove himself around.

Zuckerberg works at a desk in an open space at Facebook although the area below his desk – an underground parking lot – is sectioned off due to fears of car bombs. There are even rumors that a conference room, one with large bullet-proof glass walls, features a secret “panic chute” that can be used to evacuate the executive in the event of an emergency.

Lead image via Win McNamee, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

If I had that much money, I'd have a twisty slide from my office to my car's parking spot.

And yes I MEAN IT.

and my car(s) would be the most expensive Bugatti, a Lamborghini and my Hellcat and my Jeep SRT and I'd have a helicopter and a yacht with a landing pad.

What a miserable life having someone to check every room and traffic and wipe your *** 24/7 without any privacy. Why would anyone wanna hurt d Zucc, all he's trying to do is connect people, nothing else, right guys?

Yes... not having a single worry in life because there is a team that takes care of everything for you sounds awful... /s

If I had that much money, I'd have a twisty slide from my office to my car's parking spot.

And yes I MEAN IT.

and my car(s) would be the most expensive Bugatti, a Lamborghini and my Hellcat and my Jeep SRT and I'd have a helicopter and a yacht with a landing pad.

You'll need another few billion for the constant repair bills on your Jeep SRT and Hellcat. ;)

And yes I MEAN IT.

I honestly took you as a classic Shelby mustang and 720s guy.

If I had his money I'd have all kinds of secret escape routes. There wouldn't even need to be any credible threat. Why wouldn't you want a secret escape chute?

If I had his money I wouldn't bother to go to work. I mean how much money does a person need anyway?

If I had his money I wouldn't bother to go to work. I mean how much money does a person need anyway?
Depends on what drives you, and what you want.

Imagine your out of school self with half the monetary access you have now.

Depends on what drives you, and what you want.

Imagine your out of school self with half the monetary access you have now.
In reality, I have half the monetary access now that I had when I just left school. A British state pension is among the lowest in Europe. When I was 18 I could find work easily and pay my way. Today I have to plan carefully to make ends meet. I'm sorry but Zuckers and those fat cats like him don't get my sympathy vote.

In reality, I have half the monetary access now that I had when I just left school. A British state pension is among the lowest in Europe. When I was 18 I could find work easily and pay my way. Today I have to plan carefully to make ends meet. I'm sorry but Zuckers and those fat cats like him don't get my sympathy vote.
I'm not trying to reach out for your sympathy. I'm just saying, if you have more you tend to spend more.

Different people are driven by different stimulus, money is not a drive when it's not an issue.

Back