Maxtor releases 300GB HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Maxtor touts 300GB hard drive

The Milpitas, Calif., hard-drive maker on Monday said it had begun shipping the new 300GB device as part of a $399 Hard Drive Retail Kit for upgrading desktop PCs. Retail is an important market for drive manufacturers, who gain a significant amount of business from consumers and small businesses upgrading their desktop PCs with bigger drives.

Read more: CNet News.

All I have to do is RAID0 4 of these babies, and I've got 1.2 TB of disk space, on the one partition even, if I want.

Although defragging something like this would be a nightmare, I will wager it would be a while before something that big would need to be defragmented.

As far as a single, 300GB drive goes, I think they will be the standard in no time.

Can someone please tell me:

WHO THE HELL USES 1.2TBS!!! Much less, Raid0 the 300GBers.

I fixed your GBS to TBS Poertner_1274

I will tell you exactly who uses 1.2 TBs of disk space - someone who has a broadband internet connection and downloads movies. That's only about 2000 films. That may seem like a lot, but I could download that easily in about 1 year, from Kazaa and news groups, irc and bittorrents. Easy.

You COULD download that much in Movies and MP3's....

.... but that would be wrong.

uh, hello, RIAA and MPAA! Thanks for visiting the forums.... letter?? No I didn't get your letter..... what was it about? A lawsuit?!

Oh man, within 2 years everyone with a broadband internet connection will probably be the same. Let's face it. I am not condoning piracy, merely stating fact.

I'm just poking fun. There's a ton of legal, legit stuff I download all the time that takes up alot of space.

Between game demos, patches, programs I buy off the net and download instead of having the retail package shipped out, music creation, video editing, etc.

I also like the thought about 'who can use that much space?!?!'.

My first computer had 8k or RAM and then I remember down the road with my Tandy XT with 256k or RAM and wondering who the hell I was going to fill my 10meg hard drive!

1.2TB won't be that big in a few years. Hell, a few years from now you'll be able to fit that much on your keychain.

And you will need that much space, because the operating systems and even office suits and stuff will be huge.

it's very simple :)

when u have 4 GB, you wonder what the hell the guys with 20 GB put on their drives

when u have 120 GB fillesd with movies games pix 3d models and tons of other junk you still wonder what would you do with 1.2 TB heheheh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back