Maxtor SATA...Worked for months...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. New to the forums here, the old site I used to use seems to be dead, had not checked it for a long time. I would say about 6 or 7 months ago I purchsed a Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax 21 HD. I installed it as a secondary storage device to compliment my WD 160 IDIE HD. During install I went through the usual DVD drive missing bs blah blah blah and resolved all the issues. 3 days ago I fired up the computer and Windows froze just as the little "Windows XP" graphic appeard (but not totally bright). I restarted the computer to find that no Maxtor HD was listed in the bios. The computer stalled in the same place but after 40 to 70 sec started normally but still no maxtor HD. When i remove power from the Maxtor HD windows starts nomally. I have new SATA drivers and updated bios. Ive also moved from SATA 1 to SATA 2. What the hell could be causing this?!?! I dont want to loose my 180gigs of music!

Do you load the SATA drivers first before you install the HDD? Or check with your MOBO and load their RAID drivers and Utility program. I use Ultra 133 IDE Maxtor for the OS/Programs then SATA Maxtor 200GB. It's been running almost year now no problems..

Did you install any hardware changes lately? Okay I see then maybe the Maxtor has failed or something is wrong with the SATA controllers. How big is your PSU for you system? Any cables cracked or broken for the SATA connector or power?

I found a SATA/IDIE converter layin around and it worked with the WD so no problems with the SATA drives. I have been having problems with the PSU so I got another but the damn thing has a 24 pin and im running on a NF7S 2.0 so im going to grab one from a friend to see if that makes a diff. Im glad to hear yours has been working for quite a while. Gives me some hope.

Check your 24 pin connector on the PSU. On many, 4 pins on the end disconnect so you are left with 20 pins for older motherboards.

That depends on the type of PSU mailpup.. Most newer cases have 24-pin only unless the PSU states it can also handle 20-pin MOBO..

That is correct tipstir, the one i have (had) was 24 only so I exchanged it for a 20/24. I connected my IDIE WD HD using a SATA converter and it boots up fine so I wouldnt think it could be my SATA drivers. I can feel the Maxtor moving around a bit during start up and it is doing somthing beacuse it causes Windows to stall.

What do you mean moving around a bit.. Do you here a clunking sound or like something is slipping? This would mean the drive is BAD and needs to be replace quickly otherwise your data will be lost. You need to get another one and clone the drive to the new drive to save your data. Depending where you got the drive from it should have either 1 year or 3 years protection. Now since Maxtor and Seagate have merged you'll have to deal with them. I have never had a problem with the newer Maxtor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back