ME question Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatLined

Here's the story.. Brother-in-law askes me to fix the computer at his work for the wife.. It's a Dell running windows ME. (I feel so icky) I attempt to boot it up.. I won't pass the the Windos ME logo screen.. It sets there for a coupole mins. and reboots itself.. I removed the Wireless NIC thinking that caused it, still didn't come up.. Changed video cards, same things.. I decided to use a diff harddrive, a little older but something should come up.. It comes up to the Windows 98 logo, then it restarts.. I am completely lost.. Any help would be thankful.. Thanks..

whilst it is booting, hit f8 on your keyboard, select boot to safe mode, if it comes up, delete temp internet files, and temp files, check device manager for duplicate monitors, or other duplicate hardware that shouldnt be there, and remove it. scandisk, defrag, and reboot.

SultanGris said:
whilst it is booting, hit f8 on your keyboard, select boot to safe mode, if it comes up, delete temp internet files, and temp files, check device manager for duplicate monitors, or other duplicate hardware that shouldnt be there, and remove it. scandisk, defrag, and reboot.

Said like a pro. If that doesn't work, it might be a fried component.

done did the safe mode thing.. I forgot to post that till i was at work today, little late, i know.. Wouldn't even hit the safe mode.. Could select it, then it would idle then restart.. Something fried huummm?? Probally in the motherboard i'm guessing.. Would the battery have anything to do with it?? Tryed resetting the bios on the motherboard as well.. No luck.. Should i scrap it??

FlatLined said:
done did the safe mode thing.. I forgot to post that till i was at work today, little late, i know.. Wouldn't even hit the safe mode.. Could select it, then it would idle then restart.. Something fried huummm?? Probally in the motherboard i'm guessing.. Would the battery have anything to do with it?? Tryed resetting the bios on the motherboard as well.. No luck.. Should i scrap it??
Sounds like maybe bad caps on the motherboard or in the power supply.
Open the case and check for caps that are split and have vented there will be a brownish crust on the tops if they vented, if they are all ok try a different power supply.
Next thing to do would be to go over to simmtester.com and grab their free memory tester, make a boot disk and boot the compter from it, have do the quick test if the memory fails unplug the computer and open the case, pop out the memory and put it back in, plug the computer back in and retest the memory with the boot disk.
Do the memory test after you visually check the board for bad capacitors.

if you have no data that you need to save, fdisk, format, and reload windows. if you do have data u need to save, u can use win 98 boot disk, and copy files via dos, before you format and reload.

if it doesnt work after a format reload, definatly a hardware problem.

did you mess with anything in the bois? if you change power management settings in the bois after windows is installed, it wont boot anymore. check bios settings, make sure they are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back