Memory/Bottlenecking

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0nstaR

I am trying to update my aunts computer running 1.8 GHz, and it has 128 MB ram. (I have to check what kind of ram it is later. I'm pretty sure the 128 ram is bottlenecking my computer with the 1.8 GHz, if I'm wrong someone please tell me :)

If it is bottlenecking I would like to know if I should get a 256 MB ram (The same brand as my original ram) and add it on, or should I just get a 512 stick of ram and just use that and only that.
=====
Also, I am planning to buy myself a new motherboard and cpu. Does anyone know of a good motherboard brand/pentium cpu i could get for around $150? barebone i think it is :]

Thank you for your time and knowledge :p

Jon

It is actually my aunts computer, I just edited my post. It is Windows XP, so I should get the 512 ram instead of adding a 256 stick of ram right?

i just decided to stick with AMD for my next upgrade, so I was wondering how a Refurbushed motherboard would be, is there any risks in having one? I am getting this mobo from newegg it is an a7n8x for about $71.00 i am still deciding on what kind of processor to get, I'll make up my mind soon. but does anyone know of any refurbushed motherboards going bad? should I get one or just stick to a brand new mobo.

Personally i would toss the extra money for new, (Unless thare is a warenty implied) If the Mobo goes bad, or isnt rite from the get go,,,your SOL with Referb.

First to answer question number one go with 512 it would but memory has gone up you can still find good deals... Look a motherboard of aunts computer see what the fsb is for memory ... IF fsb is 200 get 2100 ram of fsb is 333 get 2700 ram..

As for you other question Go with AMD and a board that has Nivida chipset cannot go wrong I been using AMD for years now and all the computers I build I use AMD.. Good AMD boards are Leadteck the winfast pro series ,Asus,Msi are good Amd boards .. Also I would suggest getting a new board and you have to ask yourself what do I want this computer to do this is important also..

i agree with youngandwild asus and gigabyte boards seem to have taken over the market. i am running a gigabyte board in my pc at the moment. but i have also been running an asus board in my second pc. i found that gigabyte offer more optional extras and asus offer better compatibility. just my $0.02

thanks for the advise, as soon as i go back to my aunts house im gonna order her ram. and for my board im gonna go for the asus a7n8x-x, and for my processor im gonna get a athlon xp 2200+ it should match my ram.

~Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back