Memory dump - Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

athlor

Hi,

About 6 months ago, I installed a module of 1gb 667 RAM (had 512mg 533 RAM before). The computer that has the error is my son's and he plays a game called Lineage2. Since the new RAM was installed, he has been always getting BSODs, about two-three times a day.
Due to his complaints, I tried removing the 1gb module, but the BSODs keep appearing, always giving the same error (1x07 memory thread exception handle).
After reviewing the computer, I tried to reinstall the game in the hard drive of my computer and plugging that hard drive in my son's, but the BSOD kept appearing.
I suspect that the problem can be in the old RAM module, but it has always worked fine.

I attach the last 6 minidumps, because I can't understand the text of windbg, to see if you can help me.

Thanks a lot for your time.

PS: Sorry for grammar, my english isn't very good.

The minidumps show a memory corruption. Try removing the old module or replace the total memory with new "matched pair" memory modules

I replaced the old RAM module and plugged the 1gb one.
After 2 hours of normal working, the same BSOD appeared.

What else could be happening?

Could you post the latest minidumps? This could be caused by memory timings in the bios or by incompatible memory

only got one more BSOD since your first answer, the computer hasn't been used since the BSOD. Here's the minidump

The 6 minidumps I attached earlier, were the last 6 minidumps.

This minidump is showing a Windows instability... Look for an upgrade or patch for Lineage2. Also, try updating the video drivers. Is Windows fully updated using Windows or Microsoft Updates?

Lineage2 seems to be fully upgraded, it upgrades everytime you load the game.
I did Windows Update yesterday and upgraded video drivers, because that was suggested in the BSOD.
I have also deactivated all non-microsoft services, as suggested in the microsoft support webpage.

Maybe reinstalling windows?

peterdiva said:
Have you tried one stick of RAM at a time in another slot?
At first, I had both modules. My first try was to change the slot of the 1gb one, but it didn't work.
After that, I unplugged the 1gb one and put the 512 one in another slot, but it kept failing.
Now, it has plugged the 1gb RAM as Tmagic suggested, in a never used slot (have 4 on mainboard). I had a BSOD after 2 hours of use. Had the computer without use ffor a couple of hours.
Now my son is playing again, computer have been ok for about three hours, but I fear it will fail again soon.

If peterdiva is correct, the fail is more likely to be caused by a global mainboard failure.

After looking into the device manager, I found that my computer recognizes 2 different CPU (when I only have one installed). DxDiag also lists 2 CPU and the task manager lets me select which CPU will the system use.

Although I don't know what to think about the behavior of windows, i want to launch a new question:

Maybe the error is that Lineage2 can't operate with 2 processors? I know you don't have a reason to know that, but, if the answer is somewhat shown in the minidumps, you could help me a lot.

Thank you for your time.

HPCE_Larry said:
If you have a dual core machine it will show as two processors, even there is only one physical unit.
But it must be an error because windows showed 2 different 3ghz processors. I don't know if now there are 2x3ghz dual core processors available, but this computer is about one year old.

Anyways, I fixed it changing one parameter in the BIOS (disabling dual core support, now only 1 processor is recognized), but it would come in handy to know it the minidumps say that this could be the problem or there's something else.

Hi first post here but man do not disable the second core dual core means you have 2 processors on one chip so in fact you have to individually running 3ghz processors. Check and make sure your heat sink all fans and hard drive are free from dust and debris move the computer to an ope area where the fans are open and make sure the cables do not drag over where your fans are restricting air flow.

Guyverunit1 said:
Hi first post here but man do not disable the second core dual core means you have 2 processors on one chip so in fact you have to individually running 3ghz processors. Check and make sure your heat sink all fans and hard drive are free from dust and debris move the computer to an ope area where the fans are open and make sure the cables do not drag over where your fans are restricting air flow.
I appreciate a lot your help with my problem. But I have read the docs of my motherboard and discovered that the dual core supports causes trouble with non dual core processors (like mine). Because of that, Windows was using my CPU as if it in fact were 2 CPUs. This thing, in normal cases, shouldn't be a problem, because a well-programmed program works perfectly.
The game my son plays, has some problems with dual core processors (don't know why), so this changes fixed all in a moment.

I can assure I only have one processor because the benchmarks I ran when I was changing the RAM (to see if a RAM check caused the BSODs) and the ones of now, have the same CPU values.

Again, thanks a lot for the help, I discarded a lot of possible errors really fast because of you.

Please close this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back