Memory fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've just tested my memory and repeatedly got a fault at memory address 38d73fd4, is there a way to avoid this memory address so i can still use the memory stick without my computer crashing occasionally as it is at the moment.

Also how can i find out which memory stick this memory address belongs to?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The easiest way to find out which stick of ram is causing you problems, is to run Memtest on each stick individually.

Once you find out which stick of ram is faulty, your only option is to replace it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, you can tell Linux not to use that specific memory area.. Most operating systems (including Windows) also let you tell them the amount of memory available.

If you convert that address to decimal and divide by 1MB then you see that the location is in the 910th megabyte. So telling Windows (or whatever OS you have) that maxmem=900 should let you work around the faulty bits.

Nodsu said:
Yes, you can tell Linux not to use that specific memory area.. Most operating systems (including Windows) also let you tell them the amount of memory available.

If you convert that address to decimal and divide by 1MB then you see that the location is in the 910th megabyte. So telling Windows (or whatever OS you have) that maxmem=900 should let you work around the faulty bits.

Cheers Nodsu.

I didn`t know that could be done.

How do you set the maxmem in Windows XP?

Regards Howard :)

In boot.ini append /maxmem=XXX to the Windows line, XXX is the amount of memory in megabytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back