Memory Help On Compaq Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some information, and I'm not sure where else to look. I want to know how much RAM that my computer can hold. I have a Compaq Presario 7970 with a 60 GB HD, 600 MHz AMD Athlon, and right now 512 MB of memory (2x256MB sticks). I want to know how much my computer can have. Before I put the pair of 256's in there, I tried using 2x512 sticks, but the computer wouldn't do anything. So, to check to make sure the sticks were good i tried them in a similar computer and they checked out perfectly. Both were a full 512 MB. So I tested them again, one at a time in my computer. I put in the first one and turned the computer on. The "Compaq" logo splash screen appeared and then it froze. Nothing else happened. I turned the computer off, removed that 512 and inserted the other 512 and turned the computer back on. This time, nothing happened. The Compaq splash screen did not appear, the monitor did not come on, nothing happened. I have heard from a somewhat reliable source that my specific computer type cannot run 512 or bigger chips. I guess the whole point of this post is to ask is he correct? Can my Compaq Presario 7970 not handle 512MB (or bigger) chips? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back