Memory Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvo72

Right now, I have two 256 MB memory sticks in my computer and four total slots. I'm trying to upgrade to 2 gigs memory with four 512's. I'm not incredibly computer-smart, so this might be a stupid question, but when I'm installing my four new sticks, I can just take out the two old ones (the original ones that the computer came with), right? Or will my computer break on me?

Really, sorry if this is a stupid question, but better safe than sorry, right?

As long as your motherboard supports 2 gigs and the RAM is the correct type and is compatible with the mobo, yes, it should be okay.

Just take a hammer and bang away hehe jk. No you should be fine just put the sticks in the extra slots and there you go. Make sure they add up right to during bootup.

While I have a topic going, will anything go wrong if I put in two 1 gig sticks instead of the four 512's? I hear that generally it's better to match all of your RAM, but this would give me 2.5 gigs instead of just 2. So, basically, which is best: four 512's, two 1 gigs alone, or my original two 256's and two new 1 gigs?

in short, yes. Make sure your new memory is the same brand and type and will work with your motherboard. RTFM.

Tedster said:
in short, yes. Make sure your new memory is the same brand and type and will work with your motherboard. RTFM.

Do you mean 'yes" as in, "Yes, something WILL go wrong" or "Yes, it's better to match ALL the RAM you have" or "Yes, the 2.5 gigs would work best as long as the two new sticks are the same brand and type."

Really, I'm sorry I'm being so... picky with this, I'm just trying to keep myself from breaking my computer. Thanks in advance.

Btw, I have absolutely no idea what RTFM means :confused:

yes as in replace ALL your existing sticks with 4 new sticks of same brand & type OR

add 2 new sticks that match the same brand and type that you currently have

IF YOU plan to have 2gig, I would strongly recommend go for 2x1gig as the price differnece of the 2x1gig and 4x512 is not that big, having 2x1gig is much better setup and sometimes runs faster (amd system runs command 1T with 2x1gig while 2T with 4x512mb).

I think I'm gonna take out my two 256's and put in two new Corsair 1 gigs. Thanks for all the help guys

just make sure you RTFM when installing the sticks and put them in the right slots for DDR functionality

you can sell your old sticks on ebay for some $

Rizam

i have my own question about RAM
i have a dell dimension 2400...yeah go ahead and laugh :rolleyes:
i have the stock 256 mb ram and am looking to add some...
can i just buy a stick of 512 and slap in there or will that require me to take out my 256?

help would be appreciated

dell is very particular about ram. Go to the Crucial website and download their memory scanner. See if it will accept non-dell ram.

if so, then yes. If your computer is a laptop, get 1gb instead. it saves battery life and wear and tear on your hard drive. Memory additions are even more effective with laptops.

most laptops have 2 slots for SODIM memory. just add another stick or take out the 256mb stick you got and put in two 512mb sticks.

but check to see if you can use memory other than dell.

its a desktop..thanks for the site and telling me about the memory scanner...
just trying to get the most out of this PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back