Memory Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Memeory Overclocking

Hey gang,

What is the best way to overclock my memory (system memory) and not overclock the CPU ? I thought I saw an article on this but can't find it now. I have a Giga-Byte GA-7DXR board with 256 of PC2100 DDR.

Any advice would be appriciated. And thanks

I would think that just increasing your FSB would probably do the trick. This would increase your ram speed but not touch your cpu speed. Your CPU speed will go vary with doing this but the increase in speed comes from the memory and not the cpu.

I could be wrong here. Someone will probably chime in with something more concrete.

that is close, it will increase the speed of the machine but will not change the mulitplier of the prosessor this is a widly used method of overclocking the eniter system at once instead of part by part the preformance isnt the most you can squesse but is less likely to ketch fire.

Thanks for the info guys, I may have to just dive in to the dark and mysterious world of overclocking....

I've heard of changing memory clock cycles in the bios as a way of improving memory performance. You have to be careful about this though because it could easy damage your memory and whole system. I would look around on your mobo and I'm sure you can find some information on changing the clock cycles for your memory to give a little performance boost.

I did this to my memory and got a couple hundred extra points in SiSoft's memory benchmark!!!

increasing your frontside bus will be affecting your cpu greatly. lets say your FSB is 133mhz and your multiplier is 7.5 you then have a processor that is running at roughly 997mhz(133 x 7.5) usually rounded to 1000mhz. If you increase your FSB to 143mhz then your processor will be running at 1075.5mhz, significantly faster. If you don't want to overclock your cpu drop your multiplier down so it is running at the original speed which would be 7(143 x 7 = 1001(close enough)). If you want to overclock your memory without changing your cpu speed you need to lower the multiplier.

SuperCheetah:
Most memory is labled with the type of clock cycles it can handle(CAS2, CAS3, etc...) the lower the CAS setting the better.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I've heard of changing memory clock cycles in the bios as a way of improving memory performance. You have to be careful about this though because it could easy damage your memory and whole system. I would look around on your mobo and I'm sure you can find some information on changing the clock cycles for your memory to give a little performance boost.

I did this to my memory and got a couple hundred extra points in SiSoft's memory benchmark!!!

Most of the mobos nowadays provide you with a "Turbo" memory setting. I've got mine set to Turbo all the time but I'm not sure how much help it is though. :D

Originally posted by lokem

Most of the mobos nowadays provide you with a "Turbo" memory setting. I've got mine set to Turbo all the time but I'm not sure how much help it is though. :D

Setting it to Turbo will only apply very aggressive memory timings (CAS Timings, etc... ) to your Ram but it will still be runnning at the speed you set it to ( 100 or 133 ).

Originally posted by Didou

Setting it to Turbo will only apply very aggressive memory timings (CAS Timings, etc... ) to your Ram but it will still be runnning at the speed you set it to ( 100 or 133 ).
Yes it does. But settings tweaking the memory timings will also increase the mem speed (less latency and stuff like that). It's something that you can do if you've maxed out your FSB.

Maybe some of you misunderstood me. I also have my ram settings set to Turbo, but in my bios I have options for each individual cycle in the memory. By looking on the net I found some sites for the optimum settings of my particular ram and mobo combination. Some of the settings include SDRAM Timing Values, Read wait state, write data in to delay, write recovery time, PH limit, idle limit, etc. By changing these values (which is what the Turbo setting does) it will help overclock your memory.

I personally manually configured mine to optimize my results. My advice to you boeingfixer is to do a google search for ram settings or timings for your particular motherboard.

But yes, as Didou says it will not change the FSB, which is really the only reason to overclock your memory, to match up with the FSB as best as possible.

Maybe this helped clarify things for some! :)

Originally posted by scooby
in bios is the siplist way im presuming???:)

yes in BIOS...if your computer was pre built...probably will be locked..so you will need to download a "unlocked" version of your BIOS (from manf. (ex. asus or abit) to unlock changing of FSB)

If not pre built, then should already be all unlocked and ready to go in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back