Memory parity error

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCool

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
*** They system has halted ***

I have a Dell insprion 9400 and that is the error I'm getting about once every other day, and it appears to be random. That is, that it doesn't really matter what I'm doing when it happens. Could be during a game I'm playing, or browsing the web, it has even happened while I was away from my computer and it was idling. I posted about this a couple months ago, and just finally got around to running the memory tests. I ran memtest for about 16 hours with no errors, and I also ran the Dell diagnostic memory tests with no errors. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've read that this could be caused by certain programs conflicting with each other, but I have no idea how to go about checking that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Take out one of the SDRAM out and see how it goes, it that works okay, then try the next one without the one you just tested. If it fails then you got a bad stick. One of them could be bad otherwise you won't be getting that error.

check ram with memtest 86+ for 7 passes or more. Any errors are bad. replace the stick.
memory errors can be erratic. programs can run fine until a certain block that is addressed that is bad.

I ran memtest 86 for 16 hours with no errors, and another time for about 5 hours with no errors. So, I'm thinking that my memory isn't the problem.

while memtest is a good diagnostic tool it is by no means foolproof. If you continue to get errors - replace the ram and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back