Memory problem? Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently decided to upgrade the amount of ram in my system and have ran into a few problems.

I orig had 1 stick of corsair 512mb 3200 memory and added 2x sticks of ocz 512mb ddr memory.

Upon adding them with all 3 in I was getting random pc reboots and gamed crasing, ( WoW and Cs:s ). So i took out the old stick and moved the new sticks to the 1-2 slot instead of the 0-1 slot. It worked fine for a few then they reboots and crashes started again. The reboots werent that many but game crashed were.

So I took out the new memory and everything works fine again.

Current system
amd athlon 3200
asus a7n8x-x mobo
nvidia 6600 gt gfx card

The new memory that was being put in says its a dual channel kit. Found out the motherboard doesnt support dual channel. Can that be causing the problem? I dont know if I have bad memory or its the memory itself that the pc doesnt like, or Ive even heard that I should just replace the board. I cant figure out what to do here.

Any help? Thanks

Try different slot combinations. On an older Asus I had, I needed to use slots 1 and 3 if I put in 2 sticks.
Also check if your mobo has problems using/mixing single-sided/double-sided memory sticks (on the Asus website or Google)

Use slot 1 & 3 (or 0 & 2) for the OCZ sticks.
Check that the timing is correct in the BIOS.
Check each stick on its own in slot 1.
Do a RAM test on each stick - one of them is faulty.

The mobo is made to use DDR400 memory.

Ruder said:

I only have 3 slots on the board for memory. 01 slots are together and the 2 slot are by itself. Will be doing individual tests on the memory.

It is hard to find memory for Nforce 2. The new Corsair Value select does not work like the old did.

I say call OCZ, they are most helpfull. They will tell you haw to set it or RMA with something that will work. OCZ has the best service.

Ruder said:

Okay, I singally tested all 3 sticks with memtest 86 with a few passes for each stick and both came back with no errors.

Do a BIOS update. Use only the 2 OCZ sticks in slot 0 & 1.

Check with Asus support site if that memory is at all supported.

Paste the info on the OCZ stickers here.

Ruder said:
Do a BIOS update. Use only the 2 OCZ sticks in slot 0 & 1.

Check with Asus support site if that memory is at all supported.

Paste the info on the OCZ stickers here.

1and2 still gave me the random reboot and game crashes. Called OCZ, for some reason I cant change the cas timing bc its greyed out. They had me change the voltage to 2.7

Im currently running the sticks in 1 and 3 ( according the the board slot numbers ). Only been about 30 mins, so still running tests.

OCZ's compatibility section only pulls up the asus a7n8x and not the a7n8x-x version but OCZ tech support says my board will be fine in single channel.

Memory is currently in the pc but this is the memory

OCZ Premier Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model #: OCZ4001024V3DC-K - Retail

The timings on the sticker say the latency is 3, but bios and cpu-z show them at a 2.5 timing, ocz tech support says dont worry.

and for the bios information, i tried finding a update my board ( asus a7n8x-x ) but had no luck when i tried.

Your mobo supports DDR 400 memory - it does not directly support Dual Channel kits ... which is the OCZ you bought. Run them as single channel sticks, or swap out for discrete sticks.

The latest BIOS for your mobo is ver. 1010 for download from Asus support.

The timing is not an issue - stick with auto detect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back