Memory "problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
I was about to sell this RAM to a friend (pictured below) when I saw those black marks on the gloden contact points...

What are they?

Can they have been caused by me running the RAM overclocked and overvoltaged?

On a side note the RAM works perfectly fine, I never get a blue screen and I run it at the fastest timings possible...

The RAM is a TwinMOS PC 2100 CAS2 RAM which I have run on several mobos (as you can see on the contacts which are also very worn ;-)

I've run the RAM at 2.90 volts and 185Mhz, (def is 2,5v and 133Mhz) but it was 100% stable at that speed and I didn't run it very long... Only a few days total for benchmarking and so...
TwinMOS.jpg

:eek: Can you rub it off?

Yeah, I'd bet the higher voltage did that. But, if it works fine, then I don't see a problem.

Yea, I tried with some alcohol, (the picture was taken after that)

So as you can see that didn't help anything...

The thing is just if I should sell it in this condition or not...

And the big problem is that my one year warranty for the memory ends the 24:th this month...

Guess I'll have to give him warranty myself if I'm gonna sell this thing...

I'm just going to run some RAM tests with memtest-86 and see if all looks ok...

Happened a little quick to be corrosion, didn't it??\

Bah just RMA it. Might as well :grinthumb

Originally posted by Vehementi
Happened a little quick to be corrosion, didn't it??\
No, corrosion can occur very quickly espically when a current is being passed thorough 2 metals. You should see how fast copper plates out on a stainless steel blade when you dissolve Malachite in 5% HCl. (less than 5 seconds before the blade is coated).

Originally posted by StormBringer
One of the most essential tools in my toolbox :grinthumb

Yeah, it's one of those things that has 1001 uses besides what it was designed for!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back