Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I have recently been having a problem when uploading pics from my digital camera onto my PC - if I try to drag to & drop more than one pic at a time I get an error message saying "There is not enough memory" - my PC has 2GB of RAM! The pics are only from a 3 MegaPixel camera, so they aren't huge.
I need to do this quite a lot as I use the pics for work (product design) - please help!
Thanks loads!

the not enough memory refers to your hdd space. run disk cleanup wizard right click the harddrive in my computer then [properties>disk cleanup]
clean out your internet temps, temps etc

then you may consider going through your hdd and either putting some of the files to cd/dvd or delete it as well as unused programs etc...

N3051M said:
the not enough memory refers to your hdd space. run disk cleanup wizard right click the harddrive in my computer then [properties>disk cleanup]
clean out your internet temps, temps etc
then you may consider going through your hdd and either putting some of the files to cd/dvd or delete it as well as unused programs etc...

Err, I've got 58.2GB of free space in that hard drive alone - so I don't think that's the answer. I've also got "Virtual RAM" set to 2 GB - should be plenty surely?

I also clean out the Temp internet files before I run a virus scan (saves time), so there shouldn't be too many of them.

Any other ideas?

does your camera connect through USB? i'm assuming so, and have you upgraded to USB 2.0? i've seen that error used as a "cover all," even when the transfer bandwidth of your connection from the camera to the pc is exceeded.

Otherwise, are you copying the files to your "My Documents" folder? perhaps it is on a different hard drive?

last thing i can say is to try copying the files directly to a CD-burn. see if that works or makes things easier.

Hello Nilesy and welcome to Techspot.

Please don`t start more than one thread for the same problem. Thanks.

I have deleted your other thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

my bad.. when that happend to me i was just running out of hdd space at the time and using photoshop on a crappy laptop....

so you have 2gb of actual ddr ram (from your profile) and virtual ram (paging file size) is 2gb as well? try setting the virtual ram to 3gb (1.5xram)

and were you using any ram intensive programs at the time? (eg photoshop, games etc..)

can you tell us the full error message you got + any error codes present at the time?

I think I know what the problem is I had a similar error when I would try to take large files off my mp3 player so what I did was booted it up in UMS mode that makes it act like another hard drive then I didnt get the error. Now there is most likely special way to do this mabye you manaul will tell you for my mp3 player I would press a button while starting it up with it connected.

Well somethings wrong that's for sure, maybe memory leaks, but even that would take several applications all with terrible habits of not releasing ram after they are closed. Just in case try the transfer only after a fresh reboot.(don't run any other apps before).

Open the task manager and list processes by mem use. See if anything is being a total hog and google the name if you don't recognize it. Have you done the basics like scanning for trojans, spybots and viruses?

N3051M said:
so you have 2gb of actual ddr ram (from your profile) and virtual ram (paging file size) is 2gb as well? try setting the virtual ram to 3gb (1.5xram)
I'm sure Windows can't run out of memory when copying files from a digital camera even if the camera had more storage than the amount of RAM.

More info...

Hi guys,
Thanks to everyone who's posted so far - here's some info that I should've given earlier:-
1. Yes I'm transfering the files via USB - as far as I know everything is USB 2
on this system.
2. I'm running XP Home SP2.
3. Yes 2 GB of actual DDR RAM.
4. I usually fransfer the pics over straight after start-up to a desktop folder, before opening any other programs.

I have re-set the virtual RAM to 3GB min and 4GB max now.
I then re-started and tried to transfer 2 new pics named "100_1365" and "100_1366" by the camera - I tried to drag & drop them both at the same time into a folder on my desktop.
I got this message:-

"Error copying file or folder 100_1366: there is not enough free memory. Quit one or more programs, and then try again."

The first file (100_1365) ended up where it should've done. The second obviously didn't. 100_1365 is 372KB, 100_1366 is 343KB.
As an experiment I then tried to transfer an MPEG file that was also on the camera - this is 2,293KB - this worked just fine!
What's with that??!?
I did look at Task Manager - there are (whilst on this forum, no other programs running) 37 apps running - will follow the advice about Googling the bigger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back