Memory problems on NF8-V...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSL

Ok, I have been "dealing" with this for a few months and it's just driving me up a wall now. My problem is that I can not run pc3200 ddr memory on my Abit NF8-V mobo at full speed. If I slow it down one speed rating, then it works just fine but if I put it up to pc 3200 I get random BSOD's and freezes. The memory I'm using are 2x512 PNY optima gold memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Try different memory. A good example...I bought an MSI board and 2x 512MB Infineon mems. Nothing worked. I switched the mems to Kingston and power was on. I put the Infineons in my other system with an Asus board and power on. I have read that there are serious compatibility issues between some memory modules and some mainboard models. No one person knows all the issues, you'll just have to try other mems. I hope this helped. :rolleyes:

nucleardreams said:
Try different memory. A good example...I bought an MSI board and 2x 512MB Infineon mems. Nothing worked. I switched the mems to Kingston and power was on. I put the Infineons in my other system with an Asus board and power on. I have read that there are serious compatibility issues between some memory modules and some mainboard models. No one person knows all the issues, you'll just have to try other mems. I hope this helped. :rolleyes:

Not really. I have tried almost every type of memory that I could afford at the time and I get the same problem with all of them. I actually called abit about it, but I couldn't understand the guy at all (heavy accent). Thanks though. Anyone else?

GSL said:
Not really. I have tried almost every type of memory that I could afford at the time and I get the same problem with all of them. I actually called abit about it, but I couldn't understand the guy at all (heavy accent). Thanks though. Anyone else?

Its obvious that you should then try a different board. I mean if Abit, which I have never used, does not support what you are looking for in a board, then its time to move on. Just some friendly advice.

I do agree, but is this a common problem with x64 boards? Do you have a recomendation for a good x64 board?

I have built some PCs, about 150, for alot of different people. In my experience the one company that has the least compatibility problems is Asus.
I have personally used several different boards and have had problems with them all except Asus and DFI. I recommend an Asus board with Kingston memory. I prefer VIA chip sets as opposed to Nvidia, but that is only because VIA has shown me, over time, that they are consistent in regards to stability and compatibility. The board I am currently using is Asus K8VSE Deluxe with 2x Kingston 512MB DDR 400 (PC3200) CL3 and a AMD 64 2800+ Newcastle CPU. I hope this has helped you.

Thank you nuclear and all others that have posted. If I can't find the solution to my current problem, then I will have to go and get a new board. Thanks again.

OK, wow, it just hit me about what could fix my problem so please let me know if this is correct or not. My specs are as follows:
Abit NF8-V mobo
Athlon64 3200+ cpu
1GB pc3200 DDR mem
nvidia 6800oc Vid card
2x120GB Maxtor S-ATA HDD's
350w PSU (don't remember the manufacturer..has a nice blue glow in the back if it helps)

Now, when I run one 512 stick of memory at ddr400 then I don't have any problems...my problem starts when I put in the second stick. It runs fine with both at ddr333 though. Could this be an effect of an under-powered system?

GSL,
Your problem is not with your motherboard nor memory but with the 754 pin CPU and you memory configuration.As you have discovered, it will run both sticks of memory at 333 MHz but one stick at 400 MHz. Check the chart at http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/FAQ/faq_amdguide.jpg
While this is on the Gigabyte site and you have an Abit board, the table is from the AMD motherboard design manual. This is not on AMDs site and is made available only to motherboard manufacturers.

Note that with two pieces of double rank memory it will only run at 333. With one piece of double rank and one piece of single rank memory you will get 400. All this has been confirmed by the Senior Technical Advisor (Field Applications Engineering) for my area.

This may not solve your problemm but maybe it will give you a little more piece of mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back